My new toy '86 Cavalcade aka the Big Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new toy '86 Cavalcade aka the Big Boy

Just brought the Big Boy home last night. '86 Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade, 112 HP/ 91.5 lb/ft of torque, arrr arrr arrrr. I'll have to replace the charging system, but it's a Suzuki, that's to be expected. He has just under 39K and not a drop of oil on the engine. It has air leveling suspension, air seats with adjustable passenger backrest/trunk, Clarion AM-FM cassette player with speed controlled volume, electronic cruise control and intercom system. No helmets to use the intercom, but I'm going to see what I can find that will work with it.

GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

I road a Goldwing in those days, always wanted one of those SOFAS,, lol
    ENJOY!
    Fred

Comment

Those '80s era touring bikes seem like a good value.

When you get it all back up to spec maybe you can give a bit of a review. Sure looks clean in the pics.

The same era Yamaha Venture also looks like an interesting bike. Perhaps you'll have a chance to compare them.

Oh is it just a case of buying an '88 or newer 1500 GL?

Comment

Nice looking bike, Rick, congrats.

If you want to take advantage of the audio system and intercom, you can add speakers and microphone to your current helmet(s). Contact Sierra Electronics for details.

Don't faint when you see the prices, they are not cheap, but they are definitely good quality. You might find the parts at any decent store near you that caters to larger touring bikes (Honda, Harley, etc.), but Sierra is probably the company that they get their parts from. If there are any major rallies in your area (I belive the Golden Aspen rally is over for the year), Sierra usually shows up at most of them as a vendor.

I would not suggest falling for the appeal of wireless systems for the helmet (via Bluetooth). If you go on longer rides (more than 8-10 hours), you will lose your tunes and/or intercom when the battery dies. Any time you stop, you will have to get in the habit of recharging your helmet's battery, which gets tiresome quickly. My sister and her hubby got some Bluetooth intercoms for their Wings. Sold them after just one trip and went back to wired systems.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We took it out tonight down to the local Sonics for a couple of sundays after dinner and I think I'm going to look into some new fork springs. Seemed ok by myself, but I didn't care for the response going over the train tracks, two up.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            We took it out tonight down to the local Sonics for a couple of sundays after dinner and I think I'm going to look into some new fork springs. Seemed ok by myself, but I didn't care for the response going over the train tracks, two up.
            After the basic maintenance and repairs I would argue that one of the most important items to get 'right' on a bike is the suspension spring rates. Obviously there is an acceptable range and a wide spectrum of probable use, but most bikes could benefit from moderately stiffer suspension springs.

We were both very surprised at the level of improvement on when my buddy installed moderately stiffer fork springs on his Dyna.

My own 1100e is day and night after a few basic suspension upgrades.

Let us know how up rated fork springs changes the bike. And while you are in there anyway an inexpensive emulator is a nice touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
              Those '80s era touring bikes seem like a good value.

When you get it all back up to spec maybe you can give a bit of a review. Sure looks clean in the pics.

The same era Yamaha Venture also looks like an interesting bike. Perhaps you'll have a chance to compare them.

Oh is it just a case of buying an '88 or newer 1500 GL?
              I put 100,000k on a 84 1200 wing, busted it up and fixed it once, other than a weird front end great bike well built.
              I recently bought 1200 Venture in need of tlc. I'd heard they were like sport bikes compared to wings so was looking forward to riding it. After getting into it 2 things bothered me , it was worse than I thought but still fixable but I ended up selling it because of the complicated way its put together and poor quality of the pieces surrounding a great motor.
              If your looking at one of those find a real clean one.
              After test riding a 1500 wing when they came out, IMO everything else is a step down anyway.
              Fred

Comment

Good you got the 86 1400cc version. The 1200cc versions had issues with second gear that required engine disassembly to repair. Nice bike and good luck with it. They finally fixed the problem when the 1400's came around.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Check with the dealer to see if the " Cade Plug " mod was done. Love the bike and I will find one for myself one day.
                  1981 GS 1000GLX.
                  1981 GS 1000G.
                  1981 GS 650GLX.
                  1975 TS 185.
                  1972 100. Kawasaki.
                  1968 100. Suzuki.
                  1970 Z 50. Honda.
                  1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                  1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I had one of those for a time,and it was a great running bike.
                    The regulator/rectifier is a pain to get to,as it is up under the front fairing.I would definitly get a manual for it if you can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                      Check with the dealer to see if the " Cade Plug " mod was done. Love the bike and I will find one for myself one day.
                      +1 and some of the early ones had a driveshaft that was a little weak which got replaced by a more robust one in later models. That looks just like the '86 I had and wish I had kept.
                      Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Last edited by 1948man; 11-24-2015, 07:14 PM.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by fred smailes View Post
                        I put 100,000k on a 84 1200 wing, busted it up and fixed it once, other than a weird front end great bike well built.
                        I recently bought 1200 Venture in need of tlc. I'd heard they were like sport bikes compared to wings so was looking forward to riding it. After getting into it 2 things bothered me , it was worse than I thought but still fixable but I ended up selling it because of the complicated way its put together and poor quality of the pieces surrounding a great motor.
                        If your looking at one of those find a real clean one.
                        After test riding a 1500 wing when they came out, IMO everything else is a step down anyway.
                        Fred
                        Good comments.

I had thought the Venture might be a slightly sportier version of these 80s bikes. Good advice to find one that is in good shape.

But your comment about the '88 and newer GL1500 is very well taken. As a cheap tour boat its a great value. Of course I don't know what Rick paid for his 1400. If its what I suspect, he did well. But in general the GL1500 is probably worth the expense.

Of course in that same kind of evaluation of a cost vs value as a specific type of bike, the 2001 GL1800 might be worth a look too. The GL guys say that Honda fixed some stuff in 2006 as well.

Your comments seem to reflect a way of looking at bikes and their value that is similar to mine.

Comment

The Yamaha was certainly a beast in the engine bay. A buddy of mine has a long sitting 84 that I've managed to avoid because the plastics & such are hard to come by & very pricey. Apparently it decays with the sun and gets brittle over the years. I see very little useful difference between the Venture and the Cavalcade. Either one in top shape would be a great piece to have.

Comment

Congrats Rick! Enjoy the touring bike...
                            I wonder how those old bikes would do if you upgraded to a modern sport tourer suspension (Gen 1 FJR front end came to mind).
                            Good luck with it!!! Enjoy!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Good score, Rick. Looks like you (and the missus) have a lot of fun miles ahead.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                              X