Engine swap, 81 750 for a 78 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap, 81 750 for a 78 750?

Hey guys, hope y'all are well, first post here.

Alright got an 81 gs750(L?) and after a couple months after purchase spun a couple rod bearings. I have since read about their reputation on that. I love the bike and already have the replacement bearing and rods to make her well again but if it truly has a bad oiling system, then my question is how much longer til the next episode. So I have read about the 1100 motors being a bolt in, not entirely sure which years, but after not seeing any on CL at the moment a 78 750 e motor (bored to 860) came up making it an 8 valve, and mine being a 16 valve would that be a bad idea, I'm new to mechanics but am not afraid to make adjustments. Also would my exhaust/carbs even fit? Thanks guys and if not which 1100 years should I watch out for, would hate to trash the bike or part it out if I can keep her running strong!

I am not sure of the 78 to 81 swap. I am in the process of doing a 750/1100 swap. I picked up an 81 1100 motor from a member here on the GSR. I am pretty sure 80-82 1100's will be good for you...maybe an 83 motor too, but not positive. I posted in the parts wanted section on here and that's how I found my motor.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to my motor. Fixed the spun bearings and got her back on the road.....bam....happened again in a short amount of time. With all the time and money spent I should have done the 1100 engine swap to begin with!

Comment

Originally posted by bikemtn View Post
        I had the same thing happen to my motor. Fixed the spun bearings and got her back on the road.....bam....happened again in a short amount of time. With all the time and money spent I should have done the 1100 engine swap to begin with!

Damn man! My exact feeling! Thank you man I'm gonna do the same cuz I just got new rods and bearings and there was still play in cylinder #2 and #3 so the crank is toast. Would much rather swap the motor to avoid another episode! My ? Is will I have to change the carbs and the exhaust? Thanks man!

Comment

The exhaust should be compatible. The 1100s came with BS34 carbs vs BS32s on the 750.

Comment

The 8V engine won't fit in a 16V frame. The case is longer due to the kick starter. Carbs also are completely different. Just swap to an 1100 and forget it...
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
            X