Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000ST colours

Hi all,
    I have a 1980 Aussie GS1000ST that i am building up and the reason for owning it is that I was named after Wes Cooley as my dad was a Suzuki Dealer back in the late 70's 80's
    anyway I want the blue white wes cooley replica scheme but was the 1980 bike built in the same colour scheme?
    I have seen them painted that way but was it available new?
    I have been collecting parts and have the fairing and tank as the bike was customised before i bought it with GSX tank and big goldwing style fairing.
    the bike is complete and running just needs paint plus i have a spare damaged bike for parts

I believe most of them came in red and white but I've seen some on internet that wore the blue and white colors.
    Beware that the pattern was different between the GS 1000 SN and the ST model.
    Here's my ST with the original paint scheme.
    The seat is also the OEM model.

And here is the SN color scheme on my GS 1000 "skunk"

Last edited by John Kat; 11-27-2015, 04:27 AM.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Hi Wes Cooley,

Welcome to the site and good luck with your project. Below is a pic of the US Blue and White scheme:

Comment

Here are the scans off the original paint on my 79 blue model if that helps...Note that this is for 16 ounces ( 1 US PINT ) mix.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-27-2015, 01:36 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My observation is that any Australian 1980 blue/white ones exist only because an owner preferred that colour scheme to the factory red/white. I'm sure others will be quick to prove me wrong.

When it comes to replica decals, be careful - through all my trawling on the interweb, there are a few places that sell the complete set for the 1979 blue/white style but I couldn't find a single seller of the 1980 (non US market) decals.
          2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
          1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
          1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
            My observation is that any Australian 1980 blue/white ones exist only because an owner preferred that colour scheme to the factory red/white. I'm sure others will be quick to prove me wrong.

When it comes to replica decals, be careful - through all my trawling on the interweb, there are a few places that sell the complete set for the 1979 blue/white style but I couldn't find a single seller of the 1980 (non US market) decals.

blue/white for the 1980 st is a standard suzuki paint scheme
            if you looking for 1980 st decals decals@motographix.com.au the have both the red/white and blue/white

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post

I found these guys but I haven't bought from them.
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Man those are beautiful bikes!
                Is there a thread here somewhere that shows pics of all the different models and colors of GSs?
                If there isn't there should be a sticky where we could post examples of pristine stock bikes.
                Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fred smailes View Post
                  Man those are beautiful bikes!
                  Is there a thread here somewhere that shows pics of all the different models and colors of GSs?
                  If there isn't there should be a sticky where we could post examples of pristine stock bikes.
                  Fred
                  There used to be a Gallery on the homepage, which had photos of the various years of GS'es and it was not up and running when changed formats this last time. I haven't checked lately to see if it's up and running yet.

cg

p.s It's on the home page under "Features" and gallery. type in year and model.
                  Last edited by Charlie G; 12-21-2015, 12:16 PM.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Gallery works. On homepage set cursor on FEATURES. then just follow the prompts. Fill in the selection boxes and view gallery
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys! Lots a bikes there!

Comment

Working...
                      X