Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter spins, engine won't crank

Morning all,
    Yesterday I was out riding my 82 GS1100E, I was going from first to second, accidentally missed second, and hit about 11k rpm in neutral. (I was riding pretty hard). After that the bike stopped running completely. The motor didn't seize or anything catastrophic like that. I was able to pop start it. Before I went out the engine had a slight knock to it at idle, I thought nothing much of it, as I thought it was due to the cold. The bike ran fine, and the knock did go away as the engine warmed up. When I pop started it, it sounded like something was banging around near the starter, maybe the engagement gear that spins the flywheel is off or a tooth broke or something? I'm about to pull the stator cover and see what's going on under there. I tested the starter and it spins fine. Any info helps, Thanks!

Sounds like the rotor spun or something busted in the starter clutch. I believe Suzuki increased the size of the crank/rotor taper for 1983 to reduce the tendency of such failures.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

More then likely you sheared off the screws that hold the starter clutch to the flywheel. Probably going to have to pull the flywheel to verify it.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Pull them rotor as JTG said and also inspect the cases when its off for cracks or punctures from the starter clutch letting go. Some scratches and such isnt a worry..just be sure a bolt didnt puncture anything.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Comment

Hi, I'm kind of in a situation here, flywheel was not engaging with the starter clutch on my 1980 suzi GS 1000G
            three bolts broken, rollers springs and the clutch plate seemed ok and reusable so only thing I did was replace the bolts.
            put it all back together and now having a BIG PROBLEM trying to get the flywheel bolt to stick.
            Took heR out on a shot ride and it got loose as I got home, keeps getting loose after a few cranks.

how can you re tighten the thing.
            tried a thread locker medium strength, got loose,
            could it be that I'm not giving it the right torque, and how can I stop the shaft from turning as I do it.

newbie projects

1980 GS 1000G
            1981 SR 250
            Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gerardo View Post
              and how can I stop the shaft from turning as I do it.
              Put it in 5th gear and insert a piece of 2x4 across the swingarm, through the wheel - assuming you have an alloy wheel, and not a spoked one.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X