1982 GS750T....Soon to be 1981/1982 GS1100T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750T....Soon to be 1981/1982 GS1100T

So after spinning another rod bearing in the 82 GS750T I decided that I was done messing with a motor that some believe to be engineered wrong.
    I had been lurking on ebay, GSR, and a local junkyard for an 1100 motor to do a 7/11 swap. With not much luck I posted in the parts wanted section and GSR member
    chef1366 hooked me up with an 81 1100. He went above and beyond and I recommend him if you have any future dealings with him.

I have not made a whole lot of progress so far, but winter is here in the Northwest and with a bit of heat in the garage I will be tackling the project over the winter.
    So far I have started cleaning the 1100 and removing parts from the 750 chassis so I can remove the old.

I had to move a few items out of the garage (48 Ford over to neighbors) and a few items (elk antlers) out of the way and made a temporary work bench.

Washed the heck out of the "new" motor on Saturday and then started to pull various parts off for more intensive cleaning, polishing, etc. Dropped a starter gear washer in the case, but luckily fished it out.
    I will need to strip and polish the stator cover, which is currently spray painted black, and the clutch cover. The clutch release arm is a bit stiff to turn so going to soak it in some penetrant to hopefully loosen it up.
    Making slow progress as it is the time of year where I am running kids all over heck and back.
    Pulled the sump out and man what a mess! RTV clogging the whole unit.....wow....another reason I do not like RTV. The oil pan did not even have a gasket on it....just blue RTV.

Comment

Hey Derek,

Sorry I didn't notice your thread sooner. I recognize that grab rail... I was always taking the seat off my "T" for some reason or other.

I'll make time to get you the Air Box as promised. I fly into the Tri-State area on Saturday 19 December.

That sucks the previous owner used RTV as a gasket. Shaving it using a sharp tool can also shave the metal and deform the seal around the oil pan. Be careful! (I know you will)

I'm following your thread on this conversion. It's still a "T" and there's another member here who did the upgrade already....calling spyder!

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-08-2015, 12:48 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks Ed. I like that grab rail.....po of this bike took decent care of it. No worries on the box as I knew your situation traveling back home for the holiday. I have the one to send you all cleaned up just need to wrap and box it . The "new" motor is in good shape and very clean inside given the RTV and all. Clutch cover has never been pulled off until now!
        Been focusing most of my attention cleaning, etc. But need to get the 750 motor out at some point. I have checked out Spyder's transplant and his turned out very nice and I am shooting for the same results.

Comment

Still cleaning. I have not had a whole lot of spare time so needless to say this project has been moving slow. PO gave the head a crappy paint job so I have been hitting it hard to remove non-bonded paint.
          Broke the nipple off the breather somehow and when I pulled off the tensioner the top bolt hole has a crappy helicoil job....so more work to do.

Comment

Watching this one...never know, if there's a chance for me to learn something here so maybe one day I could shoe horn in a 1000cc motor in place of my 850 I'd like to see it.
            ...I'd also like a little more room in my garage too...got my 850G sitting in front of my '40 P10 touring

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
              Watching this one...never know, if there's a chance for me to learn something here so maybe one day I could shoe horn in a 1000cc motor in place of my 850 I'd like to see it.
              ...I'd also like a little more room in my garage too...got my 850G sitting in front of my '40 P10 touring
              This swap is supposed to be plug n play with the exception of the lower motor mounts. You can fab some up or just leave them out as some folks have done.
              The carbs are different of course....the 1100 uses BS34s, which I have. One I get to that point I will rebuild them and install new o-rings.
              I made some progress over the weekend. Fixed the messed up helicoil on cam chain tensioner mount. Installed sump and slapped on clean oil pan with a new gasket and fancy allen head bolts. Next step is to wipe the motor clean and tape for paint. I've got paint stripper on the clutch and stator cover, so I can polish them soon.

Comment

No progress in awhile. My wife's mother passed away on Sunday so I have been focusing on more important stuff. It was expected, but still very difficult for my wife and her sister.
                My MIL suffered from a disease called Friedrich's Ataxia. She was diagonosed in her teens and by age 30 was in a wheelchair. She was a fighter and lived to the age of 61 and was still smiling and joking on her deathbed. She would have certainly jumped on the back of my bike if she had the ability to. Rest in peace Mel.

Comment

Sorry for your loss....the bike will wait...family shouldn't.
                  Nice pan...a Thompson/drum would've been a great prop.

Comment

If that's her in the picture, she was HOT when she was younger. She wasn't much older than me. I guess we never know when it's time to go.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I have a new breather cap if you need. You will certainly enjoy the upgrade of the engine. Come join us at the PNW rally this june in John Day.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks for the support guys. She was in fact a gorgeous woman both young and "old". Her daughter looks just like her.....so I am a lucky dude.
                        Another breather cap would be cool! I attempted to repair the one I have, but I have yet to install it so I do not know if the repair worked or not!!!
                        I would love to get the rally this summer, but I do not think I will be able to pull it off this year unfortunately.

Comment

So sorry for your loss Derek. What a happy looking teenage picture...she was a brave woman in light of her condition. Prayers to your wife and the entire family.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Baby steps...... Got a bit of work done over the weekend. A bit of paint and cleaning up on a few items. Finally at the stage where I can start putting stuff back together!!
                            Still need to order some orings from Mr. Barr for the carbs, but I will do that stuff once I get this beast in the frame!!

Comment

I have a question regarding what you did here from the last images of this engine that you posted. Last images showed a black valve cover. Did you just spray over existing or did you take any steps to etch existing and then spray over everything? If you etched, what product and/or process did you use?

Originally posted by bikemtn View Post
                              Baby steps...... Got a bit of work done over the weekend. A bit of paint and cleaning up on a few items. Finally at the stage where I can start putting stuff back together!!
                              Still need to order some orings from Mr. Barr for the carbs, but I will do that stuff once I get this beast in the frame!!

Comment

Working...
                              X