Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikemtn View Post
    Larry,
    I pulled off the carbs and checked all the boots for proper seal and did the same when I put the airbox back on to be assured that there was no air leak.
    I also checked that I had proper flow in the choke circuit.
    Thtottle snaps right back now.

I am not 100% sure, but I do not think I had the airbox boots to carb on good enough on the first install.
    It was rather difficult to get on and I used an old broom stick and wedged it between the box and the frame to be able to push the box closer to the carbs.

Derek
    Thanks for the information. I thought everything was good on mine but since I have the carbs off now I will definitely be sure to double check everything on the install.
    I also replace a weak return spring with one that is substantially stronger. Hope I don't regret doing that.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
      man that is a beautiful bike!
      Thank you Brandon!

Comment

Well I am back! Smoking never ceased and it was finally decided that valve seals were needed. So.........here we go! New valve seals, lap valves, hone, rings, head and base gasket. When I pulled the head off oil was sitting on top of the pistons....valve seals completely gone.

Comment

Garage Time!

Nice work area Derek. I see you still have the dual pipes...on the concrete! Put a sheet or something underneath them! (I'm being fussy and just messin' with you) I'm sure the heads are being pampered too.

Keep us updated with your work!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks Ed...built the shelves this summer to try to get some more work space. My sister gave me a sweet wood stove that will be my next garage modification. In the meantime big buddy heater and space heater work fine.
            I was thinking I should put something under the pipes too...lol.

Derek

Comment

The valve seals should be pretty simple. Picked up nice c-clamp yesterday and will start tearing into the head this week.
              The bad news is that the jugs are toast in terms of using stock pistons, etc. Two of the bores are in bad shape...and one is really bad. It looks like moisture helped the rings make a nice smile and ate away some iron. I ran a hone in it and there is no way to save it within the service limit of 72.08mm. I am not ready to fork out the cash for over-sized pistons, etc....but not end of the world. Because I just picked up a low mileage replacement with pistons at a really good deal, just need to wait for them to arrive.

Comment

Valves are lapped and new stem seal installed. Next steps are to clean up the head a bit for paint and move on to honing jugs.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Well Well, another 1100T ! ! ! Best thing I could have done to mine. Thought I was the only one here...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    Well Well, another 1100T ! ! ! Best thing I could have done to mine. Thought I was the only one here...
                    Well, until I get this beast back together and running you still are the only one here...lol.
                    I have been moving slow unfortunately. Just last week I finally honed the jugs. Hoping I can fit the rings this week, clean and prep for paint and start reassembly.
                    Stay tuned

Comment

Got a little painting done last night....
                      IMG_0843 by Derek Dryden, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to get her on the road again.....

IMG_0854 by Derek Dryden, on Flickr

Comment

She lives again!! Started her up on the remote tank last night and she fired right up. Need to double check all my boot clamps as the idle is creeping/dropping a tad. However I only benched synched the carbs...will do a vacuum synch and that combined with the manipulation of carb boot clamps should do the trick. I plan on taking first spin on Saturday. So nice not to have an engine that burns oil!!!

Comment

Wow!

What a clean Engine! Enjoy and let us know how the other tests go.

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks Ed! I lost some good pics on this thread due to Photobucket lameness. I am so excited to go riding again.....been on GSR too much today instead of working....LOL
                              Glad you are still following my thread. Hope to see some updates of you and your bike soon.

D

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              Wow!

What a clean Engine! Enjoy and let us know how the other tests go.

Ed
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Going over my job before I sync carbs. I am struggling with my cam install and questioning myself. The notches and arrows line up where they are are supposed to be. Cams 20 pins apart. But the T mark is not exactly perfect lined up....is this ok? Should I redo....???

Comment

Working...
                                X