1982 GS750T....Soon to be 1981/1982 GS1100T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guami007 View Post
    I have a question regarding what you did here from the last images of this engine that you posted. Last images showed a black valve cover. Did you just spray over existing or did you take any steps to etch existing and then spray over everything? If you etched, what product and/or process did you use?
    I removed all of the paint that I could with a wire brush, sandpaper, acetone. It was a tedious process and after everything was all said and done there was still a bit of black paint. I used a VHT primer high temp kind. I primed it several times sanding in between coats. It is not perfect. I actually thought about polishing the valve cover at some point in the future. I did not use an etching primer unless the VHT is etching but I don't believe it is.

This is the second engine that I have painted. And on this one I will not use a clearcoat after as the first motor I did the clearcoat turned brown.

Comment

O-rings are on the way...my carbs use an o-ring on the bowl drain screws and Mr. Barr throws them in if you ask him. Went ahead and ordered the bottom engine mounts since I have been moving so slow on this project I did not feel like fabricating my own. Got them at: http://www.diablocycle.com/GS750-Low...nfinished.html

The other thing I did was pull the cams and polish the lobes. They had a bit of corrosion on them.....look great now! Installed and adjusted valves.
      I hope to have the motor in the frame this weekend.

Derek

Comment

A little polishing last night....still need to hit the clutch cover.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the build! BTW my T friends, there is a neglected '82 T on the Rockford IL Craigslist for $200.
          Last edited by yasser; 04-08-2016, 11:27 PM.
          Hondas
          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
          Suzuki
          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
          Kaw
          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Weekend warrior....got the 1100 mounted in the frame actually went in easier than the 750 came out. Fit pretty snug. Included pic of mount that needs fabrication.

however I did notice that the shift indicator sensor looks different then the 750. I'm going to have to look further into this it looks just like I just have neutral with the 1100 so research time.

Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I think they figured by the time someone bought an 1100, they would already know how to ride and a gear indicator would just be a distraction.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I think they figured by the time someone bought an 1100, they would already know how to ride and a gear indicator would just be a distraction.
                You are probably right!

Comment

Little before and after action. O-rings are in for carbs, so that is next on the list. Mocked up the airbox I got from Ed and installed the chrome covers on it.
                  I need to replace the chain, thinking I would rather use a masterlink rather than pull the swing arm since I have an endless chain.
                  Pulled off brake drum too last night and I need to order some new brake shoes as well.

Motor the day I received it from Chef.

After some elbow grease.....

Comment

It looks like new well done, Brian

Comment

Just so you know, your 750 valve cover bolts right onto that engine.
                      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        Just so you know, your 750 valve cover bolts right onto that engine.
                        Ray.
                        Thanks Ray,
                        Actually the 81 and 82 have different valve covers. I was thinking the same as you when I first purchased the motor, but upon arrival I noticed the 81 lacks a couple bolts near the cam chain tunnel.
                        I would assume the earlier design must have leaked easier.

Comment

In the pictures, it looks like your 1100 motor is an 80/81, the give away is the hourglass breather cover. Those use the 20 bolt valve cover. Is your 750 valve cover a 24 bolt?
                          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            In the pictures, it looks like your 1100 motor is an 80/81, the give away is the hourglass breather cover. Those use the 20 bolt valve cover. Is your 750 valve cover a 24 bolt?
                            Ray.
                            Yes the 1100 is an 81. My 750 is an 82 and has 24 bolts.

Comment

The 81 750 has a 20 bolt valve cover but has a rectangular breather cover, instead of the hourglass cover.
                              Ray.

Comment

Here is a similar conversion. https://madison.craigslist.org/mcd/5508341182.html
                                Last edited by yasser; 04-15-2016, 01:26 AM.
                                Hondas
                                '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                                Suzuki
                                '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                                Kaw
                                '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X