1982 GS750T....Soon to be 1981/1982 GS1100T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yasser View Post
    I cannot tell if that is a T or not. Crazy looking headers. Nice forks dual disc set up. Possibly aluminum swingarm? It has some pretty nice mods. I bet it is a scary ride
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Got a good bit of work done over the last few days. The weather has been warm for this time of the year in North Idaho and had me wishing I had this project buttoned up so I can ride in it!!!
      We were pushing Mid 70's over the weekend and it was 82 yesterday when I headed home from work! I did polish up the front lawn with the help of my wife. Back is looking good too, but needs a lot of work....damn dogs!!!

Anywho...I have 99% of the wiring in order, just need to connect main ground from engine to battery....attach some some zip ties and that is it. Installed lower engine mounts. Hooked up a voltmeter. Have 2 of the 4 carbs dipped with new orings.
      So really all that is left is to put in new oil filter, add oil, finish and install carbs (sync after first run), put on chain, and install my new brake shoes....and of course tank, side cover etc when it is ready to roll.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        So sorry for your loss Derek. What a happy looking teenage picture...she was a brave woman in light of her condition. Prayers to your wife and the entire family.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Sorry for late reply....just saw this .

Comment

You're OK, Derek. All the work you're doing on your "T" is awesome! Thanks for keeping your thread going.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

She is back on the road.... A few hiccups but 1100T is a reality. The 750 exhaust is pushed forward a bit due to the 1100 being a bit larger lol. I had to modify the rear exhaust mounting brackets. Slight different in the recesed parts of the heat shields but I can hash out later. One issue really at this point. Carbs dipped, orings etc. Vacuum synced. Idle moves and one pipe is awful gas fumy? I have all mix screws at 2.5 turns out. Floats at 22.4 mm. Starts right up and cruises good. Going to DMV now so no highway test. So not sure what is going on. Might start a thread on it.

Comment

She's a beauty!

Definitely keep us updated on the issues regarding the gas fumes.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                She's a beauty!

Definitely keep us updated on the issues regarding the gas fumes.

Ed
                Thanks Ed. Sitting at DMV now people watching. Lol. I started a thread on idle/ fume issue.

D

Comment

My small fume issue has become a smokey issue. It appears that the #4 cylinder is not doing its job. A soon as you get on the throttle is smokes pretty bad. I thought it was a fuel issue and replaced all the carb diaphragms since one had a hole. That did not fix the issue. Compression test is next once I source the proper tool. Pretty bummed right now.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Derek. It's all you can do is anticipate when she will be ready to ride! It will be fantastic once this issue is sorted.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thanks Ed. The compression test will point me in the right direction. If it is in fact burning oil I suspect that it is a valve stem seal. I can see oil sitting on top of the piston!

Comment

The spark plug will tell you...it should be rather dark. Hopefully it's not ring related!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                          The spark plug will tell you...it should be rather dark. Hopefully it's not ring related!
                          After I got the carbs back on I started it up and ran with a box fan for a bit. It does not smoke on idle, but blip the throttle and smoke galore. Pulled the plug and it was dark with oil residue. The main build up was right on the end of the plug (ground electrode). With a flashlight I looked at the piston and I can see fluid on the top of the piston. I dabbed the fluid and it seems like oil and an aroma of oil resonates from that plug hole.
                          I do not know the history of this motor, but the guy I got it from said that compression was 125# on all 4. Once I find a 12mm adapter for the compression tester I can do that test!! In the meantime I have Marvel Mystery Oil soaking the piston in case it is a stuck ring. The one thing that does stand out is that this piston is clean compared the the carbon build up on the other 3 pistons.

Comment

Around here, most local parts places loan out tools and the like - a compression tester should be one of those items {would have to leave your drivers license as collateral or pay a deposit which would be returned on return of the tool}....could that be an option for you?
                            It could be a bad valve guide seal....but if it's a bad/broken ring you'll be letting gas into the oil every time you run it.

Comment

Was thinking about it...that is awfully odd that "that" one piston top is dead clean when compared to the others - might make me think the PO swapped a piston or something, which then makes me wonder if it's sized correctly as well. You might want to consider a leak down test as well.

Comment

Did a compression test today. Cylinders 1,2,4 were 141 to 143. 3 was at 121. That does not seem to be a huge deal as I think the motor sat for awhile and needs to be run. I'm charging the battery so I can check 3 again since I did it last. Going to do leak down next. I suspect bad guide seals at this point. We will see.

#4 was the piston that was clean. But good compression on it so I don't know ...
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X