Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally passed the turning point, and the bike is getting together again

IMG_20180809_105244 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

With the top breather cover off, the frame slid nicely over the engine.

IMG_20180809_110423 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

After putting on the rear wheel and shocks it looks like half a bike already

IMG_20180809_150438 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Also refurbished some of the wires:

IMG_20180809_144438 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Your motorcycle is looking great! Keep up the good work👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks!

Here are some photos of my 520 conversion. The rear sprocket is for a Suzuki DR 750 and the front sprocket is for various 90's Kawasakis. The chain is a very narrow d.i.d chain.

Front first. The sprocket has a section which is 2.6mm wider as shown here:

IMG_20180809_171020 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

On the inside of the sprocket I have 6mm spacer similar to the one you see between the sprocket and the nut. The reason I have a spacer on the outside is because I'm missing the retainer washer. It's in the mail.. When I had it mounted like this the chain was to close to the rear tire. I flipped the front sprocket and put two 1.3mm washers behind the rear sprocket. Now there is 7mm clearance between chain and tire. I believe that is enough. I will at least try it for a while. With this configuration I can also use the original rear sprocket bolts.

IMG_20180809_172232 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180809_172737 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180809_172701 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Looks like at least a 3.5" rear wheel?
          What swingarm is that?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The wheel is 4.25'. The rim is laced to an original 1979 gs1000/750 hub with 6mm shorter spokes. The tire is 150/70-18. The swing arm is the original. If I put the axle all the way towards the front of the adjustment range the tire is too close to the swing arm. It needs to be about two cm towards the rear, but that's normal anywhay, I think.

Comment

Trying to get a little bit done each day.. today I dismantled the fork and painted them.

Fork by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Fork by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

And here it is with rubber booth installed.

Fork with booth by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Very nice fab work in this build! It's a great feeling passing the turning point when you start reassembling
                  What happened to the gsxr forks though? Going with the original forks instead?

Lykke til med prosjektet från Sverige

Comment

Takk så mycket�� I'm going for a Cognito Moto wheel conversion for the gsxr front, so that will be a project for the winter. Dollar is expensive at the moment, and with postage and vat and everything that will amount to about 10.000,- Norwegian kroner. So I'll do everything else first.

Comment

Full by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

This bend and silencer came today. Almost a good match I'll have to use some force to get them to fit..

Inni by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Mellomstykke by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Extra by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Have no idea what those two extra parts are.. Looks like a dbkiller but doesnt fit anywhere.. came with the silencer.

Comment

Is the muffler off of E-Bay?
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Where did you get the muffler?
                          I have a bike with a Devil exhaust and I wonder if this would fit?
                          What's the inner diameter of the muffler?
                          Ideally it should be around 75 to 78 mm!
                          sigpicJohn Kat
                          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

This is the one. I was looking for 63mm in size, but i think this is the biggest. You could use something like this if you coud find it with the right measurements:

1 Piece Exhaust Pipe Joint. It's just take you 1 minute. Ground and then polished to a mirror finish. We'd like to settle any problem in a friendly manner. Because the unpaid dispute will not be closed automatically, and we may ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/61mm-Black-...72.m2749.l2649

This is the one. I was looking for 63mm in size, but i think this is the biggest. You could use something like this if you coud find it with the right measurements:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...8AAOSwvAhbZ7C8
                              Many thanks!
                              I can tell you that my Devil muffler looks identical from a fabrication standpoint and I didn't even try it without a dB killer and it's still loud !
                              sigpicJohn Kat
                              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Tried to make the tube at the end a little wider by hammering a stepped tube inside it. This clipped two of te rivets holding the muffler together. I drilled out the last one and took it apart.

Clipped rivet by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Stuffing by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Hammered lightly on the inner ring to set the pieces together.

Separated by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Put it back together with new pop rivets. From now I'll treat the two parts as one and mask off the bend before I powdercoat the muffler.

Back together by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X