No announcement yet.

RIP George Bourroughs (the Koolaid Kid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just stumbled on to this thread, absolutely sad news!
    George was the first person to greet me when I signed on to this site. I never met him in person but did communicate quite a few times with him through messages.

My deepest heartfelt condolences to his family in their loss, George was a very good man and will be missed by many throughout the world.

May he rest in peace!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Sad news Please pass on my condolences!
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I haven't been around enough and just saw this. Horrible. I only met George once, but communicated plenty. Funny, good, generous guy.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

George's Last Ride: March 19, 2016

I've been in contact with George's family, and they will be in Indy in a few weeks. They've asked us, George's motorcycling family, to help them with scattering George's ashes somewhere here in Indiana where he loved to ride, and they look forward to meeting us.

WHAT:
          Gathering to remember and honor George, meet his family and friends, swap plenty of George stories, and scatter George's ashes near a twisty road in a beautiful state forest. This will be highly informal and not all that organized. (George was pretty organized, but I'm not... ) Further plans may be hatched as the time gets closer and the weather forecast clarifies. If the weather is halfway decent, I anticipate many of us will make plans for lunch in Martinsville or Bloomington and do more riding afterwards.

WHEN:

Saturday, March 19, 11:00 am.

WHERE:

Forest Road in Morgan-Monroe State Forest, just south of Martinsville, IN. Plans are to meet at the first picnic shelter (the Wall Shelter). Since shelters cannot be reserved, there's a chance we may need to meet at one of the other shelters instead. The road is paved, there's plenty of parking, and the shelter is handicapped accessible. There are pit toilets but we're not sure yet whether they will be open.

HOW:
          Plan to ride there if at all possible. The weather in Indiana is highly variable in March, of course, but looking back at my calendar, we almost always get out for a ride on this weekend even though it's a little chilly. I'd love to show George's family a good turnout of ATGATT motorcyclists on the kind of vintage and/or dual-sport machinery he liked best. Of course, if it's nasty out, we'll drive.

DRESS CODE:
          ATGATT, of course...

Any thoughts, ideas, or questions, let me know!
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Dress code? Really? I hope it turns out to be a good remembrance of George.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Thanks Brian; I hope I can make it.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Man,.......... I wish I lived closer!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Thanks Brian; I hope I can make it.

^^^^This. On the calendar, at least.
                  Last edited by Dogma; 02-28-2016, 03:57 PM.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

No possible way for me to be there in person but I'll be there in spirit .I miss Georges posts

Comment

Thanks for leading this effort bwringer. I'm sure it means a lot to the family. It seems unlikely that I'll be able to attend but am trying to work it out none the less. I'd probably need to stay over Friday and Saturday nights. Any suggestions on nearby lodging? Would staying at the Rosemount be too inconvenient?
                      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I would be up for sharing a room if it works out Greg, I thought a lot of George and would like to attend. I could meet you on I-24, Cadiz maybe and we could run up together.
                        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                          I would be up for sharing a room if it works out Greg, I thought a lot of George and would like to attend. I could meet you on I-24, Cadiz maybe and we could run up together.
                          Sounds good Scott. I'll try to work out the schedule and let you know as soon as possible.
                          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Martinsville is the nearest town (maybe 10 minutes away from Forest Road), and has a few hotels and suchlike (heck they've even got a Walmart...). Not sure I have a recommendation, since I've never stayed there. There's a Best Western, a Super 8, and a Holiday Inn Express.

It would be great to have a visit from the Kentucky gang, and if the weather is at all tolerable there's some great riding.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The wife and I plan on making our way over for this. Hopefully the weather is good enough for us to ride over..
                              I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                              1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

I learned yesterday that my kids have a commitment that morning and I have to take them since the wife is working. My best wishes go to the family.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X