No announcement yet.

RIP George Bourroughs (the Koolaid Kid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How incredibly sad. George, you will be missed.
    Al Jones
    82 Suzuki GS850GL
    97 Suzuki TL1000S
    "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
    Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
    sigpic

___ -\
    (O)--(O)

Comment

I have been wondering lately where he has been. Can anybody give a few details of what happened to him. I don't believe I have physically meet him, but have had many conversations with him here on the site. Seemed like a really cool guy...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Might his passing be related to him being away from this board a while back? Either way I am also truly saddened to hear of his passing.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Though I have never met him, I know he was a terrific guy from the way he responded to anything I ever wrote here. He was a wonderful asset to the community and a great friend to many here. Thanks for sharing the great stories. Rest in peace George. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

It would be good to know if anyone has found his obituary which would indicate where condolences to the family might be sent or donations to organizations which George supported or felt were cause worthy.

Bob
            Current:
            2008 BMW R1200RT
            Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
            1979 Suzuki GS550E
            1979 Suzuki GS850G
            1980 Suzuki GS850G
            1983 Suzuki GS1100E
            2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
            2004 BMW R1150 RT
            2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

I've reached out to George's family via Facebook and provided my info in case they need a local contact. I believe someone will be traveling to Indy to handle arrangements.

So far, there is no information as to what happened, when he died, or what memorial arrangements there might be, and no obituary has been published yet. Since his family is in Texas some parts of the process might take longer.

George did have some health problems the last few times any of us saw him. But overall I think it would be best if everyone refrained from speculation here. Post a cool George story instead...
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                ...Post a cool George story instead...
                When we first "met" I thought his moniker might refer to electric Koolaid (LSD). Turned out to be Colorado Koolaid (Coors).

He helped me when I first got my bike.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Brian, George, and I were on the way to the Fennimore rally before it became the Dave Davis Ozarks rally. It was shortly after Michael Jacksons passing and his boyhood home was in Gary approx 20 blocks north of where I work so we decided to check it out on the way. George was doing his Michael impersonation..........

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

We all either know or have been "that guy" at a rally but it seemed that George was the one who sacrificed his day to help "that guy". My first BC rally in 2007 there was a guy from St. Louis I think, can't recall his name who had some kind of clutch issue. He and George spent an entire day scouring hardware and auto parts stores in the small towns of Southern Indiana trying to find something to cobble his bike together enough to get him home. Dale already mentioned the day George spent with him chasing electrical demons. I also recall that at that KZ rally in 2007 when my stator died, George and Brian offered to ride from Cincinnati to Brian's at Indy to bring me a stator. I declined and rode there the next day instead but the offer was much appreciated.
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

As has been said, judging from his posts here he seemed to be a really nice guy. Personally I loved his Alphabet By Music thread, in which we had a bit of occasional banter.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Here's another George story...

George was "that guy" a few times as well. There are two occasions where I toted him back to my house on the back of my V-Strom to grab my trailer and fetch his busted bike.

Tim was with us both times, and both times Tim felt so sorry for George's predicament that he neglected to take the obligatory photo of two large men sharing a motorcycle. Always a tender, special moment, ya know... George took a lot of pride in keeping his machines immaculate and just-so, and he took it kind of hard when something went wrong.

The first time, we eventually found a burned connector behind the headlight of George's GS1100E (the usual one, if you're familiar with GS electrics). Out of curiosity more than anything else, George ended up buying stator wire and epoxy and re-winding his own stator, just to see if he could. He was an engineer to the core.

George's second stint as my passenger was the first long-distance voyage on his freshly restored Kawasaki GPz 750. We were buzzing along merrily on the way to the Brown County rally when George's rear tire locked up and he had a rather busy time for a hundred yards or so. He kept the bike upright somehow, and after the shaking wore off, we stashed the GPz at a friendly farm and headed back to my house 2-up. I convinced him to borrow my GS and attend the rally.

About a week later, we had the GPz's engine upside-down on his workbench, where we discovered a missing cotter pin in the transmission. But of course, George had three spare GPz transmission gearsets on hand, so we chose the best and the GPz was back in business shortly thereafter.

But still, I'm kind of ticked that I don't have any photos of me toting George... Tim's just a softie I guess.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm really at a loss over George's passing. The man literally lived less than a mile from me and I hadn't seen him in months. I knew he was going through some rough times and I would stop by from time to time and ring the doorbell, but, he rarely answered the door. I just feel like I could've done more.....

I met George through Brian several years ago. We've all ridden miles and miles together, wrenched on bikes together (mostly my bikes). I've laughed and learned and laughed some more over the years. You were one of a kind.

Several years ago, George and I were out for a quick ride around Brown County. I'm at a loss where Brian may have been that day, but, it was just me and George this particular day. We had a great ride through the hills and were on our way home. We both live on the eastside on Indy and instead of the normal way home, we decided to go a different route that would avoid the interstate traffic and get us close to home. So, we happened upon a looong straight stretch of State Route 9, a little south of Greenfield, IN. George was in front on his 1100E and I was on my (now sold) '81 750L. He turned his head and looked at me, gave a bit of a nod and I knew he was going to twist the throttle....and he did. I tried to keep up the best I could and the speedometer on the 'ole 750 was buried at 85mph. We rode like this for a mile or so....The next thing I see is George's rear taillight and the fact he was slowing quickly. Yep, that's right...Johnny Law was waiting on the side of the road, tucked up nicely behind a small stand of trees. I was far enough back and had slowed enough, that the Patrolman got inbetween us and pulled George over. I cursed inside my helmet and pulled in front of his cruiser, took off my helmet and just waited to see what George's fate would be. Turns out the Cop had an old bike of some sort, they chatted about old bikes for a few minutes and he gave George a stern warning about the speed we going and sent us on our way. We both took off and traveled another few miles before George pulled off into a gas station to discuss our close call with the Man.
                          We both should've got a ticket that day, but, somehow, George charmed the guy and we went free. Good Times.

I'll miss you my friend.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

bwringer Tim was with us both times, and both times Tim felt so sorry for George's predicament that he neglected to take the obligatory photo of two large men sharing a motorcycle. Always a tender, special moment, ya know... George took a lot of pride in keeping his machines immaculate and just-so, and he took it kind of hard when something went wrong. But still, I'm kind of ticked that I don't have any photos of me toting George... Tim's just a softie I guess.
                            Guilty as charged, I did show mercy by not getting any photos although I was very tempted. For those of us that knew George well and as Brian mentioned he took it pretty hard when it was his turn to be "that guy". I do recall on one of the trips back we were at a stop light and I was looking over at "two large dudes" on a V-Strom. George noticed me looking over and for effect and put his arms around Brian and his head on Brian's shoulder. It was a "special" moment and I about lost it.................

I also remember on the day of the "money shot" Brian's Mom was in an minor accident and he went to the hospital to see her so he was not there for it. We were eating dinner post the first telling of the story to Brian and George called Brian on his cell. Brian without hesitation answered "Hey Smoky" what's going on? I about spit my dinner across the table.
                            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Sorry to hear. Never met him but you kind of get to know people over the years by their forum names and develop a bit of a virtual bond. I've met a lot of folks here on rides and rallies, but quite a few are far away and only screen name personalities. Remember a lot of us are old farts or getting to be that, and between riding bikes still and the aging process, we will all succumb. So enjoy the time you have, look out for the other guy on the road while riding, and maybe take better care of our health with a decent diet and some exercise, a little less stress, and maybe we'll buy a few more years to post and ride here before we meet our maker.
                              Condolences to George's family.

Comment

Having never met George, I guess it is my loss based on all the feel good stories posted here. Sounds like he was a great all around guy and I am sorry for all of you that knew him as to the loss you all are feeling.

Larry
                                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X