No announcement yet.

RIP George Bourroughs (the Koolaid Kid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like the weather will be too cold for my gear first thing Saturday morning, but I can manage if I head over Friday evening. Scott and Greg, has a hotel been selected yet?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Greg can't make it and I now have family obligations this weekend. Wish I could.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Howdy, all!

Just wanted to remind everyone that we're planning a memorial gathering at 11:00 am on Saturday, March 19 to remember George, tell a few George stories, and scatter his ashes along a beautiful twisty road.

The location is the Wall picnic shelter in Morgan-Monroe State Forest, just south of Martinsville, Indiana.

To get there, head south from Martinsville on Highway 37. After about 2 miles, turn left onto Old Highway 37. At about 2.5 miles, turn left onto Forest Road. Continue on Forest Road until you see a large picnic shelter with a playground on your right. There's plenty of parking.

The turn onto Old 37 is a bit tricky, so set your GPS for "Forest Road, Martinsville, IN" and you'll get there fine.

If you're coming from the south, just exit 37 at highway 45, head east into Bloomington, turn left on Walnut, then turn right onto Old 37.

The weather is rather iffy, so even if riding not an option for you, please make plans to attend and honor and remember George. This will be a very informal gathering, but your presence (and your remembrances) will help bring closure and comfort to his family and all of us.

If you have any questions, please contact me or any of the Indy locals.

Thanks! See you there!

This should be a map:
        Last edited by bwringer; 03-15-2016, 11:37 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I was wondering why he never replied to me on Facebook.

Damn...

See you at the big GS rally in the sky Koolaid Kid.

Keep the beer cold.

Comment

Best wishes to all of you who attend. I so wish I could be there but it's just not possible. Please extend my condolences to the family and friends. Thank you all for helping George rest along the roads he loved to ride.
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I echo Greg's sentiments, RIP George.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I always suspected George had some distant relation to an ancient Aztec rain deity. Whenever George was riding a motorcycle, rain clouds seemed to have a powerful attraction for him. Today was no exception, although the rain was actually fairly light by George standards.

We had a nice turnout at a beautiful spot in the hills to celebrate and honor George's life, and several of us were able to bundle up and ride in the rain with GB one last time.

We passed on condolences from everyone who couldn't be there, and George's family was touched and comforted to see that George was so well-regarded by so many friends. They also asked us to pass on their thanks to everyone else.

Many George stories and pictures were shared. Family stories, riding stories, and mechanical mayhem stories. George's brother Bill told the other half of the "black cow" story I've heard from George a few times. Tim told the "money shot" story in full.

The sky cleared a bit while we were telling stories. We laid George's ashes to rest in a stand of pines, with a view of a winding forest road on one side, and a peaceful wooded valley on the other. Even on a chilly gray day, it's a beautiful spot.

I'll miss you, GB.
                Last edited by bwringer; 03-20-2016, 12:11 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I just got home and echo Brian's sentiments. Brian had arranged to meet at a restaurant last night and Georges brother, sister in law, and sister were there and I was fortunate to be able to attend. The spot Brian picked out is on one of our favorite roads and I will remember George every time we pass by.

We will miss you "Smoky".
                  82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Glad George's family got to see what great friends he'd made. You guys are the best. Still can't believe he's gone
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

It was a good send off for George. Thanks to Brian for arranging this with the family. It was nice to meet them and hear about George's earlier years. Good folks and a wonderful place that Brian picked out for George's final resting place. Good to see several of the GS family as well.

Bob
                      Current:
                      2008 BMW R1200RT
                      Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
                      1979 Suzuki GS550E
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G
                      1980 Suzuki GS850G
                      1983 Suzuki GS1100E
                      2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
                      2004 BMW R1150 RT
                      2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

Godspeed George.
                        Al Jones
                        82 Suzuki GS850GL
                        97 Suzuki TL1000S
                        "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
                        Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
                        sigpic

___ -\
                        (O)--(O)

Comment

Wow... Don' remember this... RIP- Koolaid Kid!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X