Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 back to nice.

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Decided to, finally, make some work of the old GS. I've been driving it for about 2,5 years, bought it in a not so good state, and had to buy another motorcycle at some point because I didn't believe this one to be very reliable anymore. Long story short, the older one wins when it comes to getting me to smile. The problem these last few years has been that I don't really have a lot of space to tinker away, nor a lot of money. So it will have to be a 'one-at-a-time' job mostly. Still, I would very much like to see it back to a reasonable state again.

Work to do for as far as I know (newbie at motor-mechanics):

• Fix/replace exhaust (Hole in the left exhaust), blue discoloring
    • Replace headgasket (heard a loud bang whilst riding, after which it started to leak oil. Happened right after its last servicing at a shop)
    • Clean the carburators
    • Fix/replace seat (not the original anymore, but done for)
    • Check the suspension.
    • Get a new rear tire ^^

The motorcycle doesn't have to ride at the moment as I own a GSR also, but it can't be in parts for a long time either, due to space. With that in mind, what would be my best starting point? What are major problems I have to look out for? I already came across BikeCliff's formal welcome, but just starting without a good idea of what I'm doing seems a little daunting at the moment. I would really like to learn how to keep these machines in a good condition, but unfortunately I don't know anyone close to where I live who could help me with it.

Some photo's for you guys:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2016, 07:31 PM.

Welcome Drummert. I picked up a '78 GS750 a few months ago. Chuck78 is a wealth of knowledge on these bikes and should be along here shortly. He got me on the right track with a plan on what order to work on things along with the best parts and where to source them. You can click my link below to read his input. Good luck, I'll be following along.

Comment

Your list does not have to all be done in one episode. It's really about one thing at a time when it needs to be done and you have the time to do it.
      I usually choose the easiest thing first, and the most difficult for last.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Allright,

So I decided to start with the carbs for now. They are the vm26ss ones. Got myself an o-ring kit and new boot o-rings from cycleorings, new top cover and float bowl gaskets and some aluminium crossovers and tees.
        Luckily, the bolts at the boots to the cyllinders have already been replaced by some allen head screws.

And now we wait for parts...

Comment

Welocome to the GSR. Regarding the seat, it looks like it may be a Guiliari seat. They seem to be somewhat rare and coveted.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The one thing that is often neglected that will cause expensive damage is valve clearances. The valves normally get tighter as they wear, if they are allowed to get too tight the valves will burn.

Patch that old pipe and keep it on there until you know everything is working correctly as far as carburetion, it would be a shame to buy a shiny new pipe and turn it blue from running lean for some reason.

Check the charging system, and clean up every electrical connector in the whole thing. Corrosion causes resistance, resistance causes heat, this heat causes the plastic connectors to melt, melted connectors allow the wires inside to short out, then very expensive parts go poof.

The corrosion need not be visible to be harmful, even slightly tarnished brass connectors will cause resistance and heat.

Welcome to the forum, the old 750s like yours are one of my favorites.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Love those first gen GS750s. Their motors are absolute tanks. If you use a bit longer shocks it'll steer much quicker. I saw a pretty cherry seat on FleaBay a couple of weeks ago.

Where is it leaking from??

Comment

Thanks guys,

Dorkburger: That's the name I couldn't find anymore! I found it at some point, a year or so ago. It's not an original though, but a remake (no logo, and probably was never there). I'm still between getting myself a new seat or taking this one to an upholstery shop. I like the look of it.

tkent02: Would the valve clearances be a possible thing to check myself, with my (at this moment still existing) lack of knowledge? I'm not afraid of taking the engine apart, more of damaging something in the process.

Funny thing, I always thought this was a 2nd gen GS750, because of the wheels.

Comment

And I do plan on changing the suspension. Read some nice things about that on this forum. Fork is pitted, so I'll probably do that all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummert View Post

tkent02: Would the valve clearances be a possible thing to check myself, with my (at this moment still existing) lack of knowledge? I'm not afraid of taking the engine apart, more of damaging something in the process.
                    Easy do it yourself stuff. You need a feeler gauge, 10mm and 19mm wrench, a few shims, a new valve cover gasket and something to scrape off what's left of the old one. Also requires a special tool which costs about $20, but some folks like to use zip ties and a slightly more cumbersome procedure instead. Either way the hardest part will be removing the old gasket.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, seems doable allright. That's gonna be step 2.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                        Where is it leaking from??
                        It seems to be leaking from the gasket between the cyllinders and the top.

Comment

Did you just start riding it? Had it been sitting for a while prior to you buying it?

Originally posted by Drummert View Post
                          It seems to be leaking from the gasket between the cyllinders and the top.

Comment

Bought it 2,5 years ago. Unfortunately I don't know what happened before at the PO. I know the shop I bought it at did an engine revision, but I do not trust it that much anymore.
                            Leaking started about 1,5 years ago, after which I bought a second bike and this one only came out occasionally. Leaking started after a bang whilst driving after it just got back from a shop.

Comment

Allright, so I checked it today with a bit more light. Oil is leaking from the head gasket. It's not much, but still. Also, I can't read the oil level, the oil inspection window is dirty. Can you clean that one or should I just replace it? Already found a way to put in a new one somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X