No announcement yet.

GS750 back to nice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be able to clean the oil sight glass. Don't forget to clean the metal reflector as well.

Comment

Thought I'd throw this out there.
      I was on a road trip with my 81-850g and it started leaking oil. It got quite bad soaking my gortx pants but made it home.
      Upon inspection I found the vent tube from the top of the motor to the air cleaner blocked. A closer look reveled the distribution panel in the air cleaner housing was rusted closed creating a lot of pressure in the crank case.
      After fixing the problem the oil leak was much reduced but the seal on several gaskets was broke so it still had small leaks.
      Fred

Comment

Bikecliff's website has most of the info you will need including manuals, vendor info, and tutorials on pretty much everything you need to do to the bike. The manuals will have valve clearance adjustment instructions as well. I think you are heading in the right direction... Get the engine cleaned up, adjusted, and running right before spending time and money on comfort and cosmetics. Good luck, brother! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Comment

Yeah, that one has been really helpful already.

So I made some room to work at my grandmothers ^^ (my grandfather had two workbenches there, and a lot of other stuff I will have to have a look at at some point in time), so there's enough space to work on the first parts.

I figured it doesn't really make sense to clean the carbs and not clean the tank, so I'm doing that one also.
          For now I ordered gaskets for the carbs and valve head cover+breather and for the clutch and points covers, O-rings for the carbs, intake boots and oil filter cap, some aluminium crossovers and tee for the carbs, a new oil filter and a valve shim tool (didn't want to mess with tie-wraps). That should get me started for now. I also ordered some evapo-rust for the tank.

Now for another problem: They don't sell the Berrymans'/GUNK here in the Netherlands. They do sell some carb cleaner, but either it's a spray or something you should add to the gas. I figured I could buy a few cans of spray and just drain them in a container. Would that do the trick? Otherwise: anyone living in Europe who has tackled this problem in another way?

It's already been a great learning project. Just tracking different parts is already helping me understand how everything works.

Comment

Our European carb cleaner works ok as a spray, but is no good as a dip, as it evaporates quickly. Personally I use an ultrasonic cleaner, and then verify that I've cleared all the passages by using an aerosol carb cleaner.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Actually, I was able to order the berrymans dip through Amazon Prime, using the 30 day prime trial. Did cost a bit, but still cheaper than getting the carbs cleaned ultrasonic. It's really stupid that sometimes it is actually cheaper to order some things overseas.

Now lets hope customs will be nice to me.

Comment

Allright,

So I derusted the tank, cleaned the petcock and took the carbs and air filter of so i can start cleaning them. I also took measurements of the shims, so I can order some replacements.
                This all raised two questions:

The air filter is really dirty. And I mean really dirty. There is a lot of oil on both the inside and the outside. Is this normal or did something cause it? My guess would be it came through the breather hose towards the air filter.

I found the pdfs for the petcock rebuild and the carbs. They mention some greases and silicon gasket maker. We didn't have any, so I started looking for some. Turns out there's a lot of greasy stuff around and I can't tell which brand/type I should pick up... Any preferred brands or types to look for?

Other than that, this project is actually easier than expected! (for now)

Comment

It's normal to have oil on the air filter foam. In fact, when you replace it, the instructions call for soaking the foam in motor oil & ringing it out prior to installation.

High temp synthetic grease for pivots on the slide assemblies on the carbs.

High temp bearing grease for the carb o-rings & the cylinder head boots

Comment

So I'm taking the carbs apart at the moment and I noticed that for both the carbs I've done so far, the plates that are on the slide (the black one where the lever mounts onto the slide as far as I can see in the VM rebuild manual) are missing. The metal plate with three holes is just directly making contact with the slide.

Should I try and find this part again or can I leave it out like it is at this moment? I already started looking for it, thinking the part no. is 13581 - 47010, but what I find is either a plate with only two holes (might be right) or they aren't in stock anymore...

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    It's normal to have oil on the air filter foam. In fact, when you replace it, the instructions call for soaking the foam in motor oil & ringing it out prior to installation.
                    I saw that in the manual. The thing is, not only the filter is dirty with oil. The whole airbox is a mess. Both inside and outside. I would say it has been submerged in oil... I also found that one of the hoses collapsed inwards. I just decided to replace all the hoses (they were very stiff as a lot of people around here already mention) and also ordered some new intake boots. They looked o.k. on the bike, but I am just making sure.

Comment

So I figured I could put some photo's up:

Start:

Cleaning the tank and letting it dry again. It was freaking cold...

Cleaning the petcock

Comment

Removed the airbox. Starting to remove the carbs.

Thats damaged...

Getting the valve shim clearances

Much better

Comment

Onto the carbs:

Not my definition of 'round'.

Looking at the state of the O-rings, that's probably a part of the problems already. I decided to buy new boots also, just to make sure...

Comment

Carbs part 2:

Had to use the rubber part of the hammer to get the float bowls loosened up. Took me ages to get them off.

First carb has been rebuild now.

My carb area.

Comment

Great progress, Drummert.
                              Hopefully the new valve cover gasket will help with the grunge covered carbs and airbox.
                              Hammers are only supposed to be used for electrical problems. haha.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Haha, yeah. It didn't feel good using a hammer, but no smashing in the process. Just gentle taps. Wouldn't want to mess up the bowls.

Comment

Working...
                                X