Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000 idle issue

Hey everyone!
    Just joined the forum, wanted to say hello and hopefully someone can point in the right direction with my bike. 1980 GS1000G will not return to idle. Carbs cleaned, sync with monometer, and tested for intake leaks, idle air screws on carbs are set. Also has K&N pods (from previous owner). Bike starts up fine no issues but after first twist of throttle, the bike revs high and stays there (checked throttle cable and it returns back also checked linkage to the carbs). I have to manually bring down the revs with the idle adjuster. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Running lean, needs to be properly jetted for the pods
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks Big T! Ordering new jets today. Would yall recommend the dynojet 3103 kit?

Comment

Jetting? First check the slides don't hang up. This can be caused by varnish on the sides. Is the choke coming off and are there leaks around the plungers?
        Before rejecting make sure it's not something simple. Could even be the mechanical advance, is the timing correct and does it go to the F at idle?
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I know this is an old post but I just rebuilt the engine in mine and I'm having the exact same issue. What do you mean by f at idle?

Comment

On the plate where the pickup coils are mounted there are timing marks. An F and a T. T is top dead center and F is where it fires. The timing marks should like up when a timing light is hooked to 1 or 4 . If the timing at idle doesn't go back to F at idle the engine will run fast.

The advance weights sometimes break springs and the weights don't return to the resting point.
            I sent a pair of springs to a member in Perth Australia who had this exact problem
            Last edited by duaneage; 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X