Back seat gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Chuck you mentioned "charging system upgrade", does this eliminate the honking big stater sticking out of the left side?
    That is a huge problem with the big GS bikes, the damn thing touches down if you try a deep lean left turn.
    PS: I just purchased a seat from an 89 GSXR750, have to have it in hand just for a test fit.
    If you are scraping the engine cases, you DEFINITELY need to install some longer shocks. The added ground clearance will solve that. Also you should try moving your body weight to the inside of the turn, the more you hang off, the less lean angle you need to get around a corner at a given speed.

As far as I know the only way to remove the stator, is to convert the bike to run a total loss electrical system. Other than racing, it is not practical to do this.

Comment

Chuck you mentioned "charging system upgrade", does this eliminate the honking big stater sticking out of the left side?
      That is a huge problem with the big GS bikes, the damn thing touches down if you try a deep lean left turn.
      And you lowered the frame by raising the forks anyway?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

...I upgraded the shocks and springs last summer. As for getting 17" wheels in there, nah, wanna stay OEM, production stock.
        Might try a brake disc upgrade later...
        You upgraded the shocks last year? There's some serious sag there. Those shocks look as if they're about to bottom out just sitting there.

...I could probably still bolt on my luggage rack after this mod, but I rarely do any long distance riding.
        As for why do this to a 1100G?, because that's the bike I own.
        Are you serious about this endeavor?

Comment

Ain't never gonna find a place to lean a bike that far on public roads, will not be riding it on a track.
          Looks like the foot peg will touch down an inch before the case too.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Footpegs fold, but if you're scraping them you're not doing it right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
              You upgraded the shocks last year? There's some serious sag there. Those shocks look as if they're about to bottom out just sitting there.
              Agreed! They look at least an inch and a half shorter than stock, whether that's from sag, or just a short spring, I can't say. But they are on the short side of things.

Comment

They do look kinda lowish, but those are exactly the same length as the OEM I took off; 320mm.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

They do look kinda lowish, but those are exactly the same length as the OEM I took off; 320mm.
                  Did you measure the old ones, and used that as an indication of how long they should be? It's quite possible the old ones were sacked out and shorter than when they were new. I believe the OEM size was 330mm, but I could be wrong.

How much do they compress when you sit on the bike?

Comment

Ok, I took a bread knife to the seat, seems the foam was 4" thick, plus another inch deeper in the center.
                    Sliced off a good 2.5", and made new seat cover. This will do for now.

Comment

You should be aware that the aft side of the tank will be vulnerable to scratching from zippers or even belt buckles especially under hard braking. You can put some clear plastic sheeting on that area to protect it.

Those shocks look way short to me. The Ikon site specifies 12.99" shocks for the 1100G. In millimeters that's 329.946mm or 330mm. If you have 320mm units they're a little short; roughly 1/2". NBD but it does make for a slightly slower steering bike, not to mention the loss of some cornering clearance. maybe fit a pair of 95/140 springs as well.

Seat looks good. You may want to replace the OEM foam with some higher density foam to keep your backside and family jewels from feeling the seat pan.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I like the looks of that scooped out seat! Looks much sportier. Good stuff.

Comment

I bought these shock extenders from Hong Kong.
                          For less than $8, no problem giving them a try.

Comment

For $8 they are worth at least a bolt on and bounce test... Please paint them black though!

Comment

It looks great. Not only cutting down the front for "sport" look but leveling out the rear so that it flows smoothly to the tail section. The suggestions on suspension and brake upgrades earlier are the way to go. You should resell the GSXR seat back to ebay.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Don't hesitate to modify to single seat
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X