Palomar Mountain ... San Diego...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palomar Mountain ... San Diego...

I am going to be in San Diego for week and a half again in February again (see if the Euro Trash Ego Machine holds together for more than 5 rides this time).

Palomar Mountain Road is on my list of roads and places to ride. I have seen that place mentioned here on GSR before.
    I see it on the map. Who can tell me a thing or two about it?
    I recall some place around there that was a good lunch place.... Mothers Kitchen...?
    That is real important to my wife, to have a destination for a meal, and plan accordingly.
    Me, I would just rather ride to a general area and fumble around, go on roads that look interesting on the map, follow the front fender, in what ever comes our way, (Singing: Born To Be Mild.). Maybe find a diner, maybe get cheese and crackers at a convenience store.

Speaking of riding around San Diego, and maps, there is a great map on SanDiego BMW motorcycle owner club website.

Last edited by Redman; 01-25-2016, 08:49 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Go get some Apple Pie in Julian. It will be COLD up there in Feb when you get elevation, may even be some snow. There is great riding around that area though.

Attractions & Activities Something for Everyone Lodging Cozy Cabins, BnBs, Hotels Lodges, Inns Food and Drink Unique Dining and Craft Beverages Shopping Specialty Shops. Enjoy Strolling through our area Event Calendar There is always something
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Go get some Apple Pie in Julian.
      http://www.julianca.com/
      There's a better Apple Pie in Borrego. My Mom lives there. Had em both.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks.

Ew, Elevation. THis flatlander midwesterner almost forgot about that aspect of things.
        Yah, last year when there was say low-to-mid 80s in San Diego, and at higher elevations, say, Julian, it was upper 60s or low 70s, so, yah, 10-15 degress difference, which wasnt too much of a concern at that time.
        BUt say if was to be mid 60s in San Diego (as it has been latley) to say upper 40s or low 50s, ah, yah, that would quite a consideration, ah, er, especially to my passenger.
        Maybe keep that in mind when choosing what places I go myself and what places we go together.

Am looking for Borrego on the map. Sounds familiar.
        Ah, Borrego Springs.
        Have heard of the Montezuma Valley Road mentioned before, that goes to there.
        SO that is a small town, with a diner or such. Okay.

Was in Julian last year, had BBQ at a place in the downtown area. If there again, maybe try the place near the edge of town.
        Although not really interested in "touristy" type towns/places.

Who can tell me about Palomar Mt.
        I understand there is a South Grade Rd (marked "tight, twisty, treaterous" on SD BMW OC map) that is better if take in the "up" direction, which is going in eastward direction.

Oh, hey, the "Mothers Kitchen is shown on the SD BMW OC map. Is there about where Soth Grade meets the East Grade and the road to the observatory.

Any other comments?

I am trying to not get too excited.
        But...
        But...

Last edited by Redman; 01-26-2016, 05:51 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The Yellow Deli, great place for lunch. Your wife will prob love it.
          Commune run outdoor eating in the country a bit east of Escondito.
          The road from Julian south(79 or maybe 74) to I 8 would be a great ride
          I did it in a car.
          I'll get on google earth and get back to you. Have ridden and driven tons a beautiful roads in there.
          Fred

Comment

Used to ride all over that area a hundred years ago, don't remember which roads are which but most are fun. Elevation, yeah it gets cold. Bring a jacket. But you're from Michigan, you know this. If the mountains are too cold the desert will be warmer and drier. The high desert is in between, and it gets super cold at night.

From I 8 up to Julian, from there down to the east is a nice road, there was a fun one that drops down into Palm Springs, aw hell they are all good fun.
            Sadly I don't think I ever rode on Palomar Mountain.
            If you get farther north, highway 39 rocks. Pretty much any road in California outside of the valleys and away from the population centers is good riding.

Have fun out there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Highway 78 & 76 (lake elsinore) are both good roads if you can avoid the Harley traffic... All round the state parks in that area make for great riding.

We did a Rally there in 2009 - about April I think. It was probably in the 30's at the top of Mt Palomar as well as overnight in Anza Borrego where we camped.

Should be able to see some pics here: http://s6.photobucket.com/user/salty...?sort=3&page=1

Some are in the car park at the top... like this one. Everyone was freezing despite the clothing & we rode up there in thick fog with about 20' visibility...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Must be a fool to go camping near Julian in April. Oh yea me there in the center and bill still thawing out. Tom looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by fred smailes View Post
                  The Yellow Deli, great place for lunch. Your wife will prob love it.
                  Commune run outdoor eating in the country a bit east of Escondito.
                  The road from Julian south(79 or maybe 74) to I 8 would be a great ride
                  I did it in a car.
                  I'll get on google earth and get back to you. Have ridden and driven tons a beautiful roads in there.
                  Fred
                  The pics in the link are from a ride I did last Feb. when we were in Oceanside for a couple months,
                  Fallbrook, DeLuz road winds it's way to Temecula, beautiful road to cruise along at max 30 mph.
                  Stopped at the Starbucks for a coffee on the edge of town. Headed south on Rainbow Canyon Rd (old 395)
                  to Rainbow, jumped over to Rice Canyon at the old gas station. You come out at 76 dogleg a few hundred feet and up
                  Couser Canyon Rd to LIlac, the Yellow Deli I mentioned is close to there.
                  Down to S6 take a left around to the north end of Lake Wolford road and down to Escondido. Take 78 south past the San Diego
                  Zoo Pk. to Ramona right onto 67 watch for Highland Valley rd on your right and you come out on I 15.
                  I started and returned this ride out of Oceanside a little over 4 hrs. Most of the roads have VERY LITTLE traffic lots a curves
                  and can't be ridden fast. I would recommend this tour or any portion of it for a very scenic relaxing ride.
                  Fred
                  Palomar is a great ride too if the weather is good and or your dressed for it.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

This is going down into Borrego Springs in 2014. Was great in our old hotrod
                    but on some roads it has 2 too many wheels! lol
                    Fred
                    Attached Files

Comment

The pics in the link are from a ride I did last Feb. when we were in Oceanside for a couple months,
                      Fallbrook, DeLuz road winds it's way to Temecula, beautiful road to cruise along at max 30 mph.
                      Stopped at the Starbucks for a coffee on the edge of town. Headed south on Rainbow Canyon Rd (old 395)
                      to Rainbow, jumped over to Rice Canyon at the old gas station. You come out at 76 dogleg a few hundred feet and up
                      Couser Canyon Rd to LIlac, the Yellow Deli I mentioned is close to there.
                      Down to S6 take a left around to the north end of Lake Wolford road and down to Escondido. Take 78 south past the San Diego
                      Zoo Pk. to Ramona right onto 67 watch for Highland Valley rd on your right and you come out on I 15.
                      I started and returned this ride out of Oceanside a little over 4 hrs. Most of the roads have VERY LITTLE traffic lots a curves
                      and can't be ridden fast. I would recommend this tour or any portion of it for a very scenic relaxing ride.
                      Fred
                      Palomar is a great ride too if the weather is good and or your dressed for it.

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/fre...?sort=2&page=2

Thanks Fred,
                      Liked your picturs of bike and road and scenery.
                      Saw pic of the Yellow Deli. Yah, that you mentioned before, wife would like the outside seating in a garden. East of Esconditio, eh, will look for info on that.
                      THis picture also got my attention.

Thanks again,
                      Dave

Comment

Sorry missed you post. The pic is south bound on wolford lake rd. My fav is Deluz rd from Fallbrook to Temecula.
                        The map you posted s pic of has most of the roads I mentioned.
                        Enjoy, I'm a little envious cause we didn't go south this year, or we'd a met you for lunch at the Yellow Deli.
                        Fred

Comment

Sorry missed you post. The pic is south bound on wolford lake rd. My fav is Deluz rd from Fallbrook to Temecula.
                          The map you posted s pic of has most of the roads I mentioned.
                          Enjoy, I'm a little envious cause we didn't go south this year, or we'd a met you for lunch at the Yellow Deli.
                          Fred
                          I did not get as far north as Temecula.

Did go to Esconditio on way to Palomar. Was on the S6 that you mentioned, Passed Lilac road and was wondering why that seemed familiar, then thought is the way to YellowCafe. Wasn't lunch time, or I would have gone.
                          Last edited by Redman; 02-12-2016, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Did go to Palomar

S6 from Esconditio

CA76 I think, not sure, but enroute to Palomar

South Grade up to Palomar.
                            THis is were I pulled off to side of road, and dumped it over. Was more sloped than I thought. Dern tall sport tourer!
                            Took 4 attempts to get it upright. First two, my boots were slipping in the gas puddle (can see in picture).

Comment

Lots of sports bikes there.

And down the East Grade

and on to Julian and 79

Last edited by Redman; 02-12-2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X