No announcement yet.

Potential Group Purchase - Wiseco GS650 741cc pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd run that engine. The bearing saddles just hold the bearing races in place. Pretty sure that missing material won't matter.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I want to head and ordered a new one. I got it for $86. Those are not casting flowmarks. They actually go down into the aluminum. And they run from one bearing to the other. I guess if you guys think that it's good enough to run I will always have an extra just in case I mess up again. Ha ha ha thanks a lot for all the advice though guys. It's nice to know that there's a group of people out there that have my back.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        That's very surprising, I had to grind away a ton of metal. What year 550 cases did you use?
        I have two cases to work with, a later L motor that needs grinding to work. And the cases I will be using are brand new in box. Just needed some flash cleaned up if I recall right. But it has been about a decade since I set the top end in place so maybe I should really look it over and make sure my statement was true. I also need to be sure I did not turn the bottom of the sleeves down a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the offer colt, but I just got one on eBay.

Comment

Hey guys I got an update from wiseco today. They gave me a drawing of a 3-d model that they came up with from the scetches the previous engineers made. They said they were not a 100% sure if the dome is correct, because the scetches were really hard to read. He told me if they had a piston or a cylinder head they could do a mild and verify, so I am going to send them the 650 head I got to verify. If I don't do that then there is not way of knowing a 100% whether it is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace07 View Post
              Hey guys I got an update from wiseco today. They gave me a drawing of a 3-d model that they came up with from the scetches the previous engineers made. They said they were not a 100% sure if the dome is correct, because the scetches were really hard to read. He told me if they had a piston or a cylinder head they could do a mild and verify, so I am going to send them the 650 head I got to verify. If I don't do that then there is not way of knowing a 100% whether it is correct.
              Can you scan/upload that drawing somewhere and link it?
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Here ya go:
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

For the two of you that asked about finding a gs650 head and cylinders, Rice Paddy Motorcycles here in Columbus Ohio just got a second gs650 (a GS650L, complete) in that they will likely part out. The other GS650 had no exhaust on it when it came in and the valves look like they've been exposed to the elements a bit (stems discolored/white residue on them), but would probably clean up well enough to use after a valve job and head cleanup.

Vintage Used Japanese Street Motorcycle parts salvage OEM recycled NOS Honda kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11am till 6pm
                  Saturday 11am till 5pm
                  Closed Wednesday and Sunday

Local and international 614-297-1404
                  Toll Free in the USA 1-877-460-1404

Calling them on the phone is definitely better, they are always swamped at the customer service counter and don't always have enough time to answer emails.

If you are an international customer outside of the USA, I may be able to pull the top end off 1 in a few weeks if you don't have any luck contacting the shop. They are probably closed Saturday July 9th because they always set up at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days swap meet that Fri-Sun July 8-10.
                  Last edited by Chuck78; 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM.
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

GS650 top end and GS650 Vance & Hines 4 into 1:
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Well guys I got the 650 cylinder head sent off today, so wiseco should have it by the end of the week.

Comment

Do they need a 650 piston? I have a couple extras....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I am willing to sell the gaskets i have at the same price i bought them for. I was just hoarding them for us in case the seller disappeared. probably around 45-55 shipped. I have 2 available. I am keeping one.

Also I have some extra 650 barrels I hoarded.
                          Last edited by boontonmike; 06-27-2016, 09:19 PM.
                          1978 GS550 E
                          673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                          New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                          for playing in the dirt

Comment

if they can't get the dimensions from the head then we will probably need one

Comment

Let me know, I'll send it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X