No announcement yet.

Potential Group Purchase - Wiseco GS650 741cc pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could possibly carry them to Germany and post them there if shipping is a bitch for you. I think most of us want them for 550/650/700 swaps.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ok, thanks! If the price, for each would decrease under 100$ each, it would be wonderful. Could you confirm me that it is still possible to use them with a gs 650 head?
      thanks

Comment

Yes they are made for a 650 head.

Comment

ok! So what is the status of this potential group order now? thanks!

Comment

I'm not saying I'm all in, but If it's a good spring at work here, I would really want to do this.
            Just got a lead on a 650 engine too....would be nice to have one on the bench to build up a litte.

Comment

We have five buyers counting you. If we get it to seven sets of pistons, the price will be $95 per piston. I'll do an extra set or even two if necessary to make it go, but I'd rather wait a little while, as would some of the others. I guess we'll see how much of a hurry I'm in once I try the 550/675 with the stock pistons... If it goes like hell I'm in less of a hurry.

Comment

Yes $95 per piston is AWESOME. If I weren't so tight on money for the next 2 months I'd be buying up 2 sets! The 650 head/piston design is by far the ultimate / mist efficient / most high performance design of all 2 valve GS's. A stock GS1000 would perhaps even have trouble keeping up with a 550-650-740 or a GS650E-740cc on tight twisty backroads. That's saying a lot. If I didn't have a GS750 & a Rickman looming to get a 750-894cc, I'd be building up bunches of GS550-650-740cc's & GS650E-740cc's, this is a really potent setup and a fair bit lighter than the bigger 4's, plus much more cornering clearance.

Tom, my local buddy David "drey6" is in between jobs currently, in college, coaching high school wrestling team, but when he gets some more regular income, he'd likely buy a 2nd set off of you this summer if you bought some spares.
                If my house were sold now, I'd be buying 3 sets... for now, just 1 set is a struggle on the budget.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                  A stock GS1000 would perhaps even have trouble keeping up with a 550-650-740 or a GS650E-740cc on tight twisty backroads.
                  Hell a stock GS1000 would have trouble keeping up with a well ridden 450 on tight twisty backroads. Quick and nimble trumps massive and stable on tight roads, unless your definition of tight is 70mph sweepers.

Comment

Hey borish what part of France are you from? Last summer I spent a lot of time 45 min south west of Toulouse.

Comment

So aside from the cylinder boring, pistons, wristpins/circlips, head and base gaskets and honing, carb syncing....
                      What other machining, mods or parts will be required to make this big bore kit work?
                      What else will it take to fully complete the swap?

Comment

That's about it on a 650. On a 550, split the cases and hog out the upper one until sleeves fit in the case. It's quite a bit of grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          That's about it on a 650. On a 550, split the cases and hog out the upper one until sleeves fit in the case. It's quite a bit of grinding.
                          Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw your pics of removing material about a year ago on the 550 bottom. 6th gear will be nice.
                          Plus at least from my experience 550's are super smooth shifters.

Comment

Very nice smooth tight transmissions, bombproof in my experience, but the clutch is a slightly harder pull than the later type with the lever on top of the clutch cover. Some are smoother than others, but none have the butter lever feel of the 850s. I put a better lever and perch on my 450, it made it a LOT easier to pull, don't know if the 550 will need it, don't know if it will need bigger clutch springs with the 650 top end. My 550 is fine now, but if the bigger engine makes it start to slip.....

Comment

If it does start to slip will we have to go with a different clutch assembly or just a little bit heavier springs?

Comment

Probably half the springs heavier, half stock. If that don't do it..... That will do it.

I don't remember hearing about anyone who has done the 550/650 mod having clutch issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X