Headlight switch assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight switch assembly

Does anybody have a spare left grip assembly for an 83 gs550. My low beams are only working if i push down and in hard on the switch constantly. The moment I let go they turn off.

Have you taken it apart and given it a good cleaning yet? That can fix it most times plus you can see if something is blocking it
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Most of these old bikes sat for years in the low beam position. The high beam contacts just sit there and corrosion/dust/dirt/grime just builds up. If the lows are working you know that you have power to the switch, and since you can hold the button the high beam lights you know the switch is actually switching to the high beam wire. It's just dirty. Take the clam shell apart and spray electrical contact cleaner in and around that switch. You can also spray from the outside back into the switch past the button. DO NOT use WD-40. It's not a contact cleaner and after a few months it dries leaving a gummy residue that attracts more dirt and binds up the switch. Get some Deoxit or even CRC Electrical contact cleaner from Home Depot. Anything is better than WD-40.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
        Most of these old bikes sat for years in the low beam position. The high beam contacts just sit there and corrosion/dust/dirt/grime just builds up. If the lows are working you know that you have power to the switch, and since you can hold the button the high beam lights you know the switch is actually switching to the high beam wire. It's just dirty. Take the clam shell apart and spray electrical contact cleaner in and around that switch. You can also spray from the outside back into the switch past the button. DO NOT use WD-40. It's not a contact cleaner and after a few months it dries leaving a gummy residue that attracts more dirt and binds up the switch. Get some Deoxit or even CRC Electrical contact cleaner from Home Depot. Anything is better than WD-40.
        All of that +1

I would add a small suggestion: when working on any of the electrical switches, put a LARGE clear plastic bag over the entire assembly and use your tools inside the bag.

If any error is made, the tiny parts that love gaining an opportunity to escape will be easily recoverable.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Reviving a bit of an old thread here - any one have pictures of the assembly? My horn button contact was so dirty that it didn't work; I went to clean it and the rest of the assembly blew apart. I am 99% sure I have all the copper contacts, springs, and plastic sliders, but I am having issues fitting them back together correctly. (I think i have the signal slider sorted out, but I have no idea how the headlight lowbeam/highbeam slider contact goes back together.)

Any one able to help out? Been searching around for about 5 hours today.

Comment

Working...
          X