Amp Draw on Halogen vs. LED Driving Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp Draw on Halogen vs. LED Driving Lights

I am looking into installing a set of driving lights on my 850L, and I was wondering what would be easier on the electrical system- Halogen or LED? I was comparing the difference between each since I found both types, one with 55W halogen lights that also includes wiring and a switch and a different kit with a LED driving lights, also with wiring and a switch both for a little under $19 at Wal Mart.

No idea what bulbs you are talking about but there maybe something useful here

Comment

No question there, the LEDs will have a MUCH lower draw.

One question, though. Are you wanting these lights to light up the road so you can SEE better, or do just want more points of light on the front of the bike so you can be SEEN better?

Yes, it makes a difference in what we might suggest.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Some LEDs are bright, some are not. Walmart lights I would guess might not be.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The best lights would be LEDs but they are priced accordingly expensive.

The use of LED bulbs in reflectors designed for halogen bulbs is problematic because the light source is not in the exact location the reflector was designed for.

If you’ve got a standard 7” headlight on your bike & you don’t mind the $$$ for a good LED headlight, then you might be happy with just a really good LED headlight from JW Speaker or Truck-Lite.

Comment

I installed LED head light and running "spot" lights on my 2010 Ultra Classic and my friends say it makes a huge difference in daylight riding for visibility to oncoming traffic. I'm not impressed with them for night time riding but I rarely ride at night. As others have said the beam is not focused the same because of the halogen reflectors. The good news about Wal-Mart is they are easy to return if you don't like the result.

Comment

LED lights are not a commodity item and as such there are various price/performance levels. If you are only wanting to spend $19, stick with the halogen.
              If you spend more, you can find superior technical solutions albeit at a higher price than $19.

Comment

I am planning on using these lights to make sure I am noticed better during the day. I am not much of a night time rider, so that is of lesser importance to me. As for the price, I looked on several websites for running lights, and the ones being sold as motorcycle running lights were in the $100-$200 range. Please let me know if there are any businesses that sell them cheaper than this. I was looking at the cheaper end of running lights because I need to rebuild the brakes and put a new front tire on it by this spring, so it'll be in top notch condition for the type of riding I'll be doing this summer.

Another question- I want to hook these lights to a switched 12V connection. Where's a good spot to do this?

Comment

i bought these and they are bright and have a good reputation, i hooked mine up to my high beams

Comment

Originally posted by Houndawg76 View Post
                    I am planning on using these lights to make sure I am noticed better during the day. I am not much of a night time rider, so that is of lesser importance to me. As for the price, I looked on several websites for running lights, and the ones being sold as motorcycle running lights were in the $100-$200 range. Please let me know if there are any businesses that sell them cheaper than this. I was looking at the cheaper end of running lights because I need to rebuild the brakes and put a new front tire on it by this spring, so it'll be in top notch condition for the type of riding I'll be doing this summer.

Another question- I want to hook these lights to a switched 12V connection. Where's a good spot to do this?
                    I'm sorry I mis read the original post. I thought you were talking about changing headlamps. That is the obvious area to start. 55W of drving lights will add another 5 amps of load which is quite a bit unless the bike is about 2500 RPM.

Most of the LED lights are substantially less power but few are DOT approved. They are listed as "work lamps". The main issue is that they do not have a defined cutoff like a regular headlamp so they will tend to blind oncoming drivers. I would not use them without an on off switch.

If you pick incandescent driving lights use a relay, with LED headlamp and Driving lights you can run them both off of the O/G circuit although you still would want to switch the Driving lights.

With the work lamps, you need to pay attention to beam spread. In the link provided there is a video of the LED headlamp and driving light combination I tested. It works well.

Comment

Thanks for the input posplayr. I was wondering if there was going to be enough current to warrant a relay in the circuit. I'm going to start going through the connectors and start cleaning them up and get that out of the way while it's too cold to ride- I didn't think of that.......

Comment

I believe in LEDs --

I installed a pair of LED driving lights from SuperBrightLEDS.com - https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rk-light/1699/
                        They are 10 watt 30 degree lights that are really bright-
                        I mounted them on my tip over bars and added a simple on off switch on the handlebars to activate them -

I did change the mounting hardware to something better than those hose clamps last fall -- but I have no pictures to share

OFF & ON Pictures

Last edited by Wingsconsin; 02-12-2016, 11:16 AM. Reason: add info
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                        X