Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures or help with GS1000 vaccuum hose and choke cable? (VM26SS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures or help with GS1000 vaccuum hose and choke cable? (VM26SS)

I'm piecing the 79 GS1000L basket case together, and I'm stumped on 2 points regarding the carbs. If someone has a picture of one or both of these I think I would be set:

1) Where does the vacuum line from the petcock tie into the carbs? Each of the 4 sync ports on the manifolds are plugged, I understood that there was a vacuum port built into one of the carbs. But now that I have the carbs mounted (so limited access to the engine side of the slides), I’m not seeing anywhere very obvious to connect the vacuum hose. I’m certainly not opposed to just hooking up to one of the sync ports. But I’m concerned that if I did this and missed the vacuum port on the carb I’d have a massive vacuum leak on one cylinder. I’ve searched and searched but must not be using just the right keywords, and the manual doesn’t explicitly answer this.

2) The choke cable connection: On my carbset it appears I’m missing the anchor (not sure what to call it honestly) where the cable sheath would be supported. The spot where the end of the cable moves the enricher shaft is there, but that’s it. This is the model with the choke pull that comes out of the stem. Once again the manual and parts fische don't show any kind of bracket to locate the cable sheath.

Thanks!!!!

Three of your four carbs will have a nipple on top of the outlet (engine side) of the carbs. Carb #1 should be the only one without one. The vacuum line to the petcock goes to carb #3. The ports on carbs 2 and 4 are vents, their hoses should be routed over the back of the airbox, ending in somewhat calm air.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Both sides of my 78 1000 VM26's

And one with all the hosing in place

The one sticking up goes to the petcock.Choke is different on the 78,sorry can't help with that.

Comment

Great thank you both a bunch! So the nipples on 2 and 4 are just let open other than the hose hanging off? I would think (absent better information) that would be a big ole vacuum leak on 2 and 4, is it not? I spent so much time chasing vacuum leaks on my ninja 250!

Still looking on the choke hookup though...I may snap a pic of my setup (choke on the right end of the carb bank) and post it up here for discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by gs45082 View Post
          Great thank you both a bunch! So the nipples on 2 and 4 are just let open other than the hose hanging off? I would think (absent better information) that would be a big ole vacuum leak on 2 and 4, is it not? I spent so much time chasing vacuum leaks on my ninja 250!

Still looking on the choke hookup though...I may snap a pic of my setup (choke on the right end of the carb bank) and post it up here for discussion.
          No vacuum leak, that passage goes to the float bowl only.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            No vacuum leak, that passage goes to the float bowl only.
            OK now I'm confused. How does the nipple on 3 open the petcock then, if it only goes to the bowl? Is that top nipple on 3 different from on 2 and 4?

Comment

I'm piecing the 79 GS1000L basket case together, and I'm stumped on 2 points regarding the carbs. If someone has a picture of one or both of these I think I would be set:

1) Where does the vacuum line from the petcock tie into the carbs? Each of the 4 sync ports on the manifolds are plugged, I understood that there was a vacuum port built into one of the carbs. But now that I have the carbs mounted (so limited access to the engine side of the slides), I’m not seeing anywhere very obvious to connect the vacuum hose. I’m certainly not opposed to just hooking up to one of the sync ports. But I’m concerned that if I did this and missed the vacuum port on the carb I’d have a massive vacuum leak on one cylinder. I’ve searched and searched but must not be using just the right keywords, and the manual doesn’t explicitly answer this.

2) The choke cable connection: On my carbset it appears I’m missing the anchor (not sure what to call it honestly) where the cable sheath would be supported. The spot where the end of the cable moves the enricher shaft is there, but that’s it. This is the model with the choke pull that comes out of the stem. Once again the manual and parts fische don't show any kind of bracket to locate the cable sheath.

Thanks!!!!
              The fitting on #3 is ported to a vacuum source, not to the bowl. When that vacuum is applied to the petcock it enables the fuel flow to the fuel inlet "T".

If you're asking about whether or not your carbs are missing some parts it would be helpful to post some good, clear photographs of them so we can see what you have. The carbs pictured above are from a '78 and they did not use the stem mounted cable to control the enriching plungers. They used a carb-mounted lever on the outside of the #1 carb body, clearly visible in these photographs.

Comment

Thanks Rudy I had assumed they were all 4 identical. I don't have a good picture of the choke side of the carbs but I'll try and take one tonight.

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                The fitting on #3 is ported to a vacuum source, not to the bowl. When that vacuum is applied to the petcock it enables the fuel flow to the fuel inlet "T".

If you're asking about whether or not your carbs are missing some parts it would be helpful to post some good, clear photographs of them so we can see what you have. The carbs pictured above are from a '78 and they did not use the stem mounted cable to control the enriching plungers. They used a carb-mounted lever on the outside of the #1 carb body, clearly visible in these photographs.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                  They used a carb-mounted lever on the outside of the #1 carb body, clearly visible in these photographs.
                  It's very easy to mount this lever type on your carbs, all you need is the lever itself, and the screw, nylon washer and spring that comes with it.. Much simpler than the goofy cable system, easier to use and more reliable with less parts to screw up.

Comment

It's very easy to mount this lever type on your carbs, all you need is the lever itself, and the screw, nylon washer and spring that comes with it.. Much simpler than the goofy cable system, easier to use and more reliable with less parts to screw up.
                    Yeah and I don't think the cable is in the parts bin from the PO, what I have now is a cable tie looped thru the lever that I hook on one of the carb top screws that holds the choke on. Does the job but would like to make it look better.

Comment

Here's what I have going on at the right side of the carbs.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I have going on at the right side of the carbs.
                        Yeah, the lever is welded on the other end of that shaft, you lift it up, it twists the shaft which raises all four of those little levers which rise the choke plungers.
                        I have a bunch of them around here, been using them for powder coating practice. Not sure if they are the correct length for the 1000 / 750 carbs, but probably some of them are.

Comment

OK now I'm confused. How does the nipple on 3 open the petcock then, if it only goes to the bowl? Is that top nipple on 3 different from on 2 and 4?
                          Please go back and read post #2. It may not go into real detail, but it does hint rather strongly that they might have different functions.

Thanks Rudy I had assumed they were all 4 identical.
                          Never assume. As a matter of fact, they are four unique carbs. They have to go back together in the correct order or they will not work. No carb can be moved to another location in the rack successfully.

Comment

Yeah, the lever is welded on the other end of that shaft, you lift it up, it twists the shaft which raises all four of those little levers which rise the choke plungers.
                            I have a bunch of them around here, been using them for powder coating practice. Not sure if they are the correct length for the 1000 / 750 carbs, but probably some of them are.
                            So that could set it up like my 82 450, with the little lever on the clutch side of the carbs? Like this one?

Sorry it's upside down I just googled the pic.

That would be ideal in my mind, if you have the parts necessary I'm sure we can work something out.

Comment

It's similar, but actually much simpler than that. Just a shaft with a lever on the end to twist it. A screw, spring and nylon washer to give it just the right tension.

I can send a pic later, have to run right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X