No announcement yet.

GSX400E Project Suzzie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John. The bike was plated in 2005 so I suspect this was the last time it ran. Yes, the petcock is "on and reserve" so I suspect fuel kept flowing over the years while on a side stand.

I drained a lot more oil out of it then 2.7 quarts. I kept saying "really." It's a small drain pan but more than 2.7 came out I can tell you that much. Nothing in the bottom of the pan however. Didn't really notice a gasoline smell but in your reply maybe it did leak fuel. I would think the oil level would also read high but it did not.

2600 ml, right there in front of me. Looked right at it but went to the book instead. I just want to fire it up, let things get warm and hopefully soak the clutch plates. Pretty sure they are dry as a bone.

Motor turns over fine. Soaked it with Marvel Mystery oil for four or five days. Would it do any good to rotate it with the starter for a bit before attempting a start? (Plugs removed)

Thanks again for the quick reply.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2016, 03:31 PM. Reason: Edit text, more questions

Comment

I've seen sightglasses look clear when the engine was overfull, due to gasoline separating from the oil...
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        I've seen sightglasses look clear when the engine was overfull, due to gasoline separating from the oil...
        Just a dipstick on these, but point taken.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Well, that's the only logical explanation.

Comment

Fuel should not flow with the petcock set to "on" unless there is vacuum tugging on the diaphragm. If fuel flows in the ON position without vacuum, the petcock has failed.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
              Thanks John. The bike was plated in 2005 so I suspect this was the last time it ran. Yes, the petcock is "on and reserve" so I suspect fuel kept flowing over the years while on a side stand.

I drained a lot more oil out of it then 2.7 quarts. I kept saying "really." It's a small drain pan but more than 2.7 came out I can tell you that much. Nothing in the bottom of the pan however. Didn't really notice a gasoline smell but in your reply maybe it did leak fuel. I would think the oil level would also read high but it did not.

2600 ml, right there in front of me. Looked right at it but went to the book instead. I just want to fire it up, let things get warm and hopefully soak the clutch plates. Pretty sure they are dry as a bone.

Motor turns over fine. Soaked it with Marvel Mystery oil for four or five days. Would it do any good to rotate it with the starter for a bit before attempting a start? (Plugs removed)

Thanks again for the quick reply.
              You won't need to soak the clutch plates; just put it in first gear [sparkplugs in] and pull the clutch and rock it until the clutch is free. It may well be free as it is, but it's nicer to the gears this way. I find that if I pull the clutch in and crack the throttle a few times before I put it in gear in the morning it will be almost silent because there's enough inertia in the gearbox to make the clutch free up.

I'd turn it over until the oil light goes out just to fill the galleries and filter. Ground the plugs [easier on the coils and trigger] ; good time to see if they actually spark. I'm expecting it will run just fine.

These are great bikes. Super smooth motor, slick six speed box, good handling and light. I rather like the IRC GS11 tires as they work as the bike was designed and give you a reference point as to whether a 'modern and better' design actually works better for this design of bike. There are upgrades, such as better rear shocks and electrics, but generally they got it right. I've had a few of the fours, but for general use and backroads I have more fun on these for less money.

Sorry about the petcock rant, but at some point you have to make your personal peace with them. Sounds like they fixed the prime setting problem by eliminating it. But if you go to the racing section at GSTwins.com the first item to change on a GS500 is ditching the stock petcock for a non vacuum Pingel one. I think that there just isn't enough vacuum with the carbs wound open to keep the fuel valve open wide. Worst time to lean out is at full speed. At some point, when nobody's looking, you're going to have a go at redline in sixth…..
              '82 GS450T

Comment

I'll put vacuum on the petcock and see if it drains the remaining fuel. I'll check that out, sounds like a good upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Fuel should not flow with the petcock set to "on" unless there is vacuum tugging on the diaphragm. If fuel flows in the ON position without vacuum, the petcock has failed.
                  Yes, that is correct thus putting a little vacuum on it. There is just a little fuel that won't come out. I'll put it to RES then see what happens. I could probably attach a line and draw it with my mouth.

I checked the Pingle site and a GS750 is all they list. I'll dig deeper into it down the road.

Comment

Dropped it in first and used a heavy duty twist tie to hold the clutch lever towards the grip as well as the front brake. Grabbed the rear wheel and rotated several times. (bike is on a lift)

Going to crank the motor in a bit with the plugs removed per Johns recommendation.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2016, 09:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

OK, turns over just fine. Oil light out. Fuel tomorrow in a overhead tank. Don't want to go any further until morning just to be safe.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

No go this morning. She tried to fire, battery voltage became to low so it's charging. Original plugs so I put in a fresh set. Not what it calls for but a new plug none the less.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but when you twist the throttle shouldn't the slides move in the carburetor? They are not. Moves by hand but not by throttle. Don't think it's an adjustment either.

Like stated earlier I just want to see if she will run then off comes the carburetors. Now, as far as the air box is concerned there is no way it's coming out. It does look like it snaps together in two pieces but that doesn't make sense. John, you are correct. You would think the frame was built around the air box.
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM. Reason: text

Comment

Unless the slides are vacuum operated. It's not a Honda which is what I'm use too.

Comment

Should be a CV carb so no, the slides are vacuum operated and will not move when the engine is off. The butterfly should move with the throttle.
                            -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                            DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                            -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Thanks. Looked in the book and saw that after posting. OK, let the battery charge up and try this again.

Comment

It's alive, it's alive!

Albeit runs only from full to half choke. To be expected. Motor sounds good but I hear some noise from the clutch area. Normal? Some bikes just had a noisy clutch in my experience. Sure the plates were bone dry and maybe an adjustment might take care of things.

Thanks for the help so far....

Comment

Working...
                                X