New tire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tire.

Went into my dealership here to buy a new front tire for the bike. I asked for 100/90-19-H Dunlop. I'm there waiting while he is in the back and he rolls out this (gasp) Kenda tire. I said whoa is that a Kenda, he said yes, I said keep rolling it out to the dumpster then. He said really, I said really, those are trash. So...he goes back and brings out a Dunlop...hmmm okay better, then I look at the speed rating..hmm what is an F rating, I look and I can't find a F rating. I order the right tire.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

F=up to 50mph. Yeah that might not be too good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A dealer that actually had a tire in stock? Whuuuut?

How old was the tire and how many spiders fell out when they brought it out?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Dunlop what?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Okay had to order a new tire, Dunlop Elite III. 100/90-19H with a load rating of 65. Don't know how old the Kenda was, I wouldn't look at it, the Dunlop 404 was a year old and had that weird F rating, go figure.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 02-11-2016, 07:18 PM.
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Dunlop what?
            Sorry, it was a 404 with the F rating even the load rating was crap something like a 50.
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

FINALLY got to take the bike out last Sunday to scuff in the new front tire. With in a 1/4 mile I knew something was wrong when the handles bars started wobbling side to side some. So I look over the fender and see the front tire walking all over the place. Take bike back into shop pull wheel off, wait till bike shop opens on Tues, take tire in and have them check it. Part of the left side bead came unhinged ( good thing I had a tube in it ) causing the tire to roll on the rim. They broke the tire down and re lubed it and reseated it. All good now.
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 03-03-2016, 06:52 PM.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

One of the biggest reasons I started mounting my own tires years ago was that the tire monkeys in the shops are incapable of taking an extra two seconds to make sure the bead is seated. It happened to me with my GS850 a couple of times. Sure, you can save a lot of money mounting your own tires, but mostly you can make sure it's done right.

When I bought my KLR650, the owner mentioned he got bent over for $400 to have a shop install new tires a few months earlier. Sure enough, the rear bead wasn't seated...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                X