Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of things I'll need, help needed. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of things I'll need, help needed. :)

Right, so since I've had this thing for 2-3 years, and I'm getting a chunk back on taxes I'm going to hopefully (finally) fix it, or at the very least get it so it'll run regularly and I can run it around the yard until I can get EVERYTHING fixed. Hasn't been started/run since last year, it's a 81 GS750(E?).

Now, the list I would like. I've seen on here it says to buy o-rings and not a carb kit, could I have a link to that, please? I was originally going to buy a kit off ebay until I saw that. (Would it be a good idea to buy a kit for the gaskets, and maybe a new float, or no?)

Oil leak, it looks like it's leaking oil from where the oil goes up to the cooler and back down (I'll attach pictures.) Is there a gasket for this?

Everytime I have had it running, it will not idle without a little choke, or it'll idle at about 700 RPM if I was lucky, 9/10 times it would choke out without any choke. (I'm assuming carb cleaning will fix this, I could be wrong.)

Tune up kit is obvious, but since I don't know the first thing about motorcycle engines, is it like my old 63 Corvair with points, condenser, etc.? Or is it like newer cars and all I have to worry about is dist cap, rotor, plugs, etc.?

Rectifier, charging system. I'm assuming it's charging just a bad battery since once it's running and I cut the headlight on it doesn't automagically choke out, and the light gets brighter as I rev it. Or is the electrical (Engine) system run on a magneto on these? And should I go ahead and check the charging system regardless? (It'd be pretty awesome in my opinion if these had a magneto and not a coil.)

Is there anywhere that I can order a print copy of the service manual specific for the 81? I have BikeCliff's site, and I could certainly buy a printer and print 'em out, but I'd rather have the specific manual for my specific bike.

Instrument cluster is busted, need a new one of those, but the question on that is the gear indicator doesn't work, how would I get that to work?

As far as running is concerned, I don't recall hearing anything clicking, clacking, or otherwise. Clutch works good, shifts gears well. There anything in there I need to take apart and check?

Last thing, the running chain. How would I check to see if that's in acceptable condition or if I need a replacement?

As with what I've come to realize on my Corvair, I'm going to assume nobody has done any work on this bike other than basic tune ups, and that everything on the bike is original from the factory.

And the pictures.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

63 corvair?? A 4 or 6 cylinder? Never mind,and don't let Nader find out
    Spend lots of time reading at Basscliff's site- lots of your questions will be answered there.
    And don't assume anyone has done proper maintenance till you check.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you have found the page from BassCliff a lot of your answers are in there.
      Here is the link for the o-rings. http://www.cycleorings.com/
      Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

Read thru everything on this page and all of the links and you'll have most of your answers. There's a factory service manual for your bike on there.

Your bikes has electronic ignition, so no points and condensors, but you must adjust the valve clearances
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

This is from an Ebay 'followed search' site, not what you need, but might be handy-

This is the 'followed search' page on Ebay, sometimes handy for printed materials one might be interested in. There may be other, more refined searches available.

Get the best deals on Suzuki Motorcycle Collectibles when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
          X