No announcement yet.

Roostabunny's Long overdue Top End Rebuild GS850GX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update - still moving, a little slower than planned due to work demands and a family visit.

After about 45 minutes with a bench grinder with a wire brush installed we've got clean valves. You could eat very small food off these valves.

0317162042_HDR.jpg

Very hard to photograph, but my friend who grinds valves declared these "lap-and-go", minor pitting, no need to grind. Seats are similar - minimal damage.

So now I'm in the market for one of those suction cup things.

Side note, Mr. Raygun was parting out an 850 and hooked me up with ignition plate and a tail light lens, so those pieces won't slow me re-assembling or getting back on the road come time - wahoo!'

Edit: Forgot to mention, found a recommended local speed shop that'll hone the cylinders for $40. They look like they're probably fine, but I'll have them also verify dims before they hone and then also buy rings at that point.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

None of your pictures are showing up
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hey all, still working, will get done eventually! Here are the cylinders after gasket cleanoff and before an overall cleaning -

0515161906.jpg

They're at the machine shop and and I need to get busy cleaning the gasket off the base (ugh.) and giving the head a once over prior to checking on that sticky bucket, lapping, checking spring tolerance, and hopefully head re-assembly.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Hey, I just saw AZR's post - is nobody seeing the pics but me?

Comment

No pictures here, either, but I thought it might the firewall at work.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The pictures aren't showing up. Looks like you're using Google Photos, did you remember to mark them public? One of the image links is: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Zr...=w1769-h995-no

When I click on that, I get a 404 error.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Sorry about the long break, fellas - trying to get back to this and want to see if I've fixed my photo sharing settings for Google.

Can you see this one?

Comment

Originally posted by roostabunny View Post
                  Sorry about the long break, fellas - trying to get back to this and want to see if I've fixed my photo sharing settings for Google.

Can you see this one?
                  Yes indeed. Nice picture.
                  -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                  DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                  -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
                    Yes indeed. Nice picture.
                    Great, and thank you, IanC!

Comment

Shortly after this post my daily driver (a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser) developed a transmission problem and stopped going. Didn't have the money to get the transmission rebuilt, but I have an expert friend for reference who was also confident I could work my way through a DIY rebuild. 6 months and several detours later (rebuild starter, replace rear main seal and oil pan gasket on the engine, rebuild driveshafts, put a new CV Axle and then shocks/struts on my wife's car) and I'm hoping to fire up the the Land Cruiser this weekend finally. I hope to goodness it works.

Edit: Part of the saga here was that I had an excuse to buy a working bike to get to work on, so I've got a Suzuki V-strom 1000 that only requires basic maintenance so far, so that's a switch.

Comment

Working...
                      X