Yowzer, finally done my 1979 GS1000 Custom Brat/Cafe Racer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat side carbs?

Those look like stock VM26 carbs. are they known as flat side carbs? I though the BST slingshot CV carbs were also called flat side carbs (flat slide?)

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Well, it's very neatly done, and a useful redo of an L model.
    I look for performance improvements, not so much pretty polishy stuff.
    I see some performance things, I like the top end rebuild, and the flatside carbs!
    The L forks…meh.
    I like the gauge change.
    Is that a Bridgestone Spitfire front tire? Really scary bad grip from those, had them on 2 bikes I bought.
    That green looks like a nice color for a bathroom, kinda fem.
    Sorry, I only like some of it.
    1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
    1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
    1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
    2000kaw zx600
    2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
    2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
    1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
    1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
    1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
    1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
      Those look like stock VM26 carbs. are they known as flat side carbs? I though the BST slingshot CV carbs were also called flat side carbs (flat slide?)
      The VM carbs were the first called flat side carbs, they are not CV type carbs. The BST carbs have a flat sided piston and are CV type.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks Bill, so they are the stock vm26 carbs with pod intakes, and a 4:1 header to open pipe? Might the builder share jetting? I rejected my 79 gs1000e with 20 pilots and 130 mikuni mains (stock jet needle) to run with knock off k&n oval pods and 4:1 pipe going to an open "muffler" I made with 3" pipe and an internal antireversion cone.. She runs pretty good but touchy around 4k and at a constant throttle above that (like she just wants me to open it up and she does pull right off if I do)... And not to steal the OP thread, but I do have a set of bst32 or bst33 from a katana600 I was thinking of trying on the '79 gs1000, anyone have luck with that?

The VM carbs were the first called flat side carbs, they are not CV type carbs. The BST carbs have a flat sided piston and are CV type.
        2000kaw zx600

Comment

Originally posted by garyS-NJ View Post
          Thanks Bill, so they are the stock vm26 carbs with pod intakes, and a 4:1 header to open pipe? Might the builder share jetting? I rejected my 79 gs1000e with 20 pilots and 130 mikuni mains (stock jet needle) to run with knock off k&n oval pods and 4:1 pipe going to an open "muffler" I made with 3" pipe and an internal antireversion cone.. She runs pretty good but touchy around 4k and at a constant throttle above that (like she just wants me to open it up and she does pull right off if I do)... And not to steal the OP thread, but I do have a set of bst32 or bst33 from a katana600 I was thinking of trying on the '79 gs1000, anyone have luck with that?
          You need to start a new thread about your jetting issues in the carb tuning section. I am not a carb tuner. A lot of tweaking issues come up with pod mods, because you're discarding tuning for public road conditions and tuning for WOT race performance. You can't have both.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks Bill, but my post was directed towards the OP Imari who is running a set up very similar to mine. And btw, I wouldn't call pods and pipes wide open race configuration. I've had bikes and seen plenty of bikes run fine on the road like that.
            You need to start a new thread about your jetting issues in the carb tuning section. I am not a carb tuner. A lot of tweaking issues come up with pod mods, because you're discarding tuning for public road conditions and tuning for WOT race performance. You can't have both.
            2000kaw zx600

Comment

I like fenders & a bit more seat, but that is a very nice piece of work. Seeing what you started with, I go

Comment

Not bad at all. At least you have a full exhaust instead of the stock head pipes chopped off.

Comment

That is a fantastic job Imari! Should be huge inspiration to anyone restoring or modifying a bike. Way to stick with it and you should be proud of that work of art.

Comment

What tail light is that? I'm trying to find one that fits in the top, inside, of the tail piece opening but not too high in thickness. I'd like to find one that is roughly an 1" to an 1 1/2" in height with acceptable brightness....and the one you used is very close to what I'd want.

Comment

Really liking how your build turned out! Is it safe to assume you took some inspiration from Luke Robinson's build for this? The battery is hidden way better than I thought it would where you have; I was teetering back and forth on Brat vs Cafe for my seating options but out of fear for the clean look, I opted for a cafe style seat.

The Tail light and turn signals are really nice, where did you pick those up at? Do you have a link by any chance?

Comment

Nice work. I usually avoid the cafe/brat threads because I like the original unmolested look best. However I think my view is somewhat encouraged by the embarrassing hack jobs (pieces chopped off a good design and what's left fogged with a flat black rattle can) that get presented as something special.

Your hard work, attention to detail, and even color choice set your bike apart from those that make me shake my head. Color is especially subjective. I like vivid reds and blues (and pearl--lots of pearl), so I wouldn't think of using olive--however, it does go very well with the seat color and with most of the rest of the bike blacked out, the result is very nice. I appreciate your art.
                        sigpic
                        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

can you fit 2 up on that seat? tightly lol
                          only ask because i see you still gave the passenger pegs
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                          X