Yowzer, finally done my 1979 GS1000 Custom Brat/Cafe Racer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
    Not sure what makes you think it started as an "L". The forks in the first picture did not look like "L" forks.

The forks are just one of the differences for the "L" models. Simply putting "L" forks on your bike and changing nothing else will change the steering geometry a bit. Although the wheelbase is a bit longer (less than an inch), the trail is also shortened. "Trail" is what helps the bike keep going straight. Lessening the trail is like adding power steering and might make the bike a bit "twitchy".

But just because a bike had them does not mean it was an "L".
    The '80/'81 750E and 1100E had leading-axle forks and were definitely NOT "L"s.
    I was trying to explain why it was assumed that it was an L, and i did say that there were non L models that had them.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I thought the bike was an L from the leading edge axle mount, my mistake.
      But leading edge forks increase the trail and wheelbase, and that slows steering. Ok if you like a casual easy rider bike like the L.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        But leading edge forks increase the trail and wheelbase, and that slows steering. Ok if you like a casual easy rider bike like the L.
        Installing leading axle forks and not changing the triples will increase the wheelbase, but wil DEcrease the trail.

Increasing the wheelbase less than an inch on these bikes would probably not be noticed by about 95% of us. However, decreasing the trail by that same "less than an inch" will take about 20% of the trail out, making it steer EASIER (less straightening force). Slower, maybe, but easier.

The "L" models (and the others that came with leading axle forks) had different triple clamps that moved the fork legs back a bit, but left the axle in pretty much the same, exact place, which did not affect the steering geometry at all. Where the "L"s get their bad rap for handling is more in the ergonomics than the layout of the various pieces of hardware.

Comment

Yeah you're right, I had to read up on that stuff.
          The VFX - Magna conversion in tribute of early 80s AMA Superbikes. 1st Gen Honda Magna and Sabre (1982-1986)

"Now, changing your front forks from straight axle to leading axle DOES NOT CHANGE YOUR RAKE ANGLE. It may LOOK like you've added more rake by using a leading axle fork, but you have not. It makes the bike LOOK like it is more raked out, but the headstock tube angle has not been changed one bit. Honda is well aware of that phenomenon and used it to make the Magna appear to be more "raked out" than it actually is. In fact they used a number of illusions to make the Magnas look like raked out long forked customs, when in fact the Magnas are set up more like your average "General Purpose" bike (aka "Standard" or "UJM")."
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
            First picture is a 78 with a 79 tank. Not an L
            It's a 79 standard model, defined by the square rear pegs and the choke up top. Not a L. It doesn't have a letter designation
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Just at a glance, some things I love and some I'll do different, but a really nice, clean build and attention to detail! Great work! I'm saving this thread.

Comment

Nobody cares about the leading axle...

It's a beautiful motorbike!

Comment

Had a reveal parking for some friends, got the bike into our living room haha

Comment

Tough to steal from a living room.
                    Nice work.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Where'd you stash the battery?
                      I can't see it in your pics.

Comment

Nice work. I hope you're planning to plug the the unused tach cable fitting in the head.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by jseiff View Post
                          Where'd you stash the battery?
                          I can't see it in your pics.
                          Behind air filters, essentially right below the gas tank/seat junction

Comment

Awesome build well done .

Love the colour and the lines of the bike .

cheers

David

Comment

Just wow! Love it.

Comment

Looks awesome man, some good inspiration for my 750 which is getting similar treatment. How does it ride?

Comment

Working...
                                X