No announcement yet.

1982 GS550M Katana Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started to clean up the wheels for paint... They aren't in bad shape at all which I'm happy about... after a while though I decided to be lazy and I contacted my powder coat guy... I'll be dropping them off to him tomorrow lol...

This is how they sit now... they do look better in the picture then in real life but like I said they're not too bad... I will admit that I plan to have them done in a solid color... I know it's against the original design but I've never cared for the polished lip thing... and well it will be easier to keep them clean... so ya...

That's it for now... I have tomorrow off so hopefully will get some more done

Comment

Originally posted by Swk426 View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]50164[/ATTACH]Second try
      Love it!

Comment

Looking good! Ironic, I was just checking thinking of this thread recently.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by mv577 View Post
          I started to clean up the wheels for paint... They aren't in bad shape at all which I'm happy about... after a while though I decided to be lazy and I contacted my powder coat guy... I'll be dropping them off to him tomorrow lol...
          Hope he good and not do the disc mounting surface, bearing surface and removes the lead wheel weights. All those things i have seen be powder coated over

Comment

Mike, looking good, I love that nothing is too good for this rebuild.

I too was keeping an eye out for when you reappeared with new updates, thanks for keeping your thread alive.

David.
            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Great to see the next phase of your excellent restoration.
              I like the look of that front stand. Model?
              What are you using for the rear?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Looking good! Ironic, I was just checking thinking of this thread recently.
                Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                  Hope he good and not do the disc mounting surface, bearing surface and removes the lead wheel weights. All those things i have seen be powder coated over
                  Yup no worries there... He does a great job making what shouldn't be done... And the weights were pulled off 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                    Mike, looking good, I love that nothing is too good for this rebuild.

I too was keeping an eye out for when you reappeared with new updates, thanks for keeping your thread alive.

David.
                    Thank you! I had hoped to be done by now but it is what it is... 👍

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Great to see the next phase of your excellent restoration.
                      I like the look of that front stand. Model?
                      What are you using for the rear?
                      Thank you! That front stand is from the 90's I think... Someone have it to me a long time ago... I have no idea where it came from lol... I just have the bike in the center stand for the rear... ��

Comment

I haven't done tons the last few days... but I did get the piston rings and pistons installed... I'm waiting on a ring compressor, or two, to finish putting the motor together... They should be here on Thursday..

From there I messed with some little things in the hour I had here and there... I've had some luck sources NOS discontinued parts on EBAY this week... One little thing I grabbed was a front brake line cover... Devil's in the details!!

Comment

Messed around a little more with some cosmetic stuff... because hey... shiny things make me happy!!!

I said it before... swords are cool man...

New decals on the side covers

Seeing how it looks on the bike... Can't wait to see this thing together and on the road!!! Oh speaking of cosmetic... I decided to match the wheels to the paint... I've seen some bikes online with the silver rims and I like it... This is the color I chose after comparing it to the bodywork in all light sources..

The wheels are at the blaster this week... hopefully have them back next week sometime... I'll mount the tires and have a roller for the first time since I brought it home!!! I ordered the remaining wheel / caliper parts I needed to make sure I can button them up when the wheels come back...

Comment

So I mentioned I've been sourcing parts... and well even when I've found something I don't stop looking for a better option... A year ago or so I dropped my seat off to be redone with a local guy... It was going to be a side job and to this day hadn't been touched... no big deal since I didn't need it yet anyway... but I am always looking... I came across a nice looking original seat on EBAY right here in MA... Far more money then I spent on the beat up one but I loved the idea of it being original... so I bit and bought it!!!

Turns out the seller knows this thread and is a GSResource member... ridesauce... I got the seat today and it looks great!!! I did a quick pass with cleaner and conditioner and the little dirt that was on it is already cleaning off... I'll do another at some point but I'm very happy!!! An original 36 year old seat... love it!

Comment

pssst, hey, any update on the build?

Looks fantastic by the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X