Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get tach cable separated, am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get tach cable separated, am I missing something?

I'm leaking oil out of the tach cable, so I bought new oil seals for it. Now I can't get the cable out of the head fitting. I looked at pictures of the tach cable online, and it looks like they have a spot to grab with pliers that I don't. Am I missing something?

Untitled by Bobertbarker, on Flickr

It looks like it's been butchered, there should be a knurled portion protruding to enable a light grip with players to remove the cable.
    if there's not enough to grip in a vice then you would be better to get a new sleeve.
    have you tried turning the cable metal shield (the one with the four flats) in the hope it's seized in the outer and will come out
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      It looks like it's been butchered, there should be a knurled portion protruding to enable a light grip with players to remove the cable.
      if there's not enough to grip in a vice then you would be better to get a new sleeve.
      have you tried turning the cable metal shield (the one with the four flats) in the hope it's seized in the outer and will come out
      That or seize it yourself with a pair of vicegrips.

Comment

You probably need to replace the sleeve anyway because it's pretty buggered up. It is still available new or you can probably find on on ebay. Be prepared to replace the tach driven gear since it tends to wear at the point of contact with the outer seal.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Would this unit work? Very slightly different part number. 26431-47002 vs 26431-45002. They look identical to me.

Comment

Working...
          X