78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 left for dead

This picks up where the GS owner thread leaves off...
    Use this forum to tell everyone the details about the GS that you own and a little about yourself as well.

This will probably take a lot longer than it should, but that's the way every one of my projects has been...
    I'll start off where I am today on the bike, and we will take two steps forward and one back throughout the story.

This is a few months into the project as I was collecting parts......the bike was truly left for dead in the Arizona sun since 1990...
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2016, 09:46 PM.

It already looks awesome as just a rolling chassis. I'll be following along. Nice looking set of bodywork you found for it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Subscribed. Love following these rebuild threads, good luck with however long it takes.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Busa..I DESPERATELY need a scan of that blue for my upcoming 78 C model build.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm in to,don't worry to much about the time.My 78 only took 4 years with to many 1 step forward and 3 back to mention

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Busa..I DESPERATELY need a scan of that blue for my upcoming 78 C model build.
            Me too, mine needs a paint job really badly
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
              This picks up where the GS owner thread leaves off...
              Use this forum to tell everyone the details about the GS that you own and a little about yourself as well.

This will probably take a lot longer than it should, but that's the way every one of my projects has been...
              I'll start off where I am today on the bike, and we will take two steps forward and one back throughout the story.

This is a few months into the project as I was collecting parts......the bike was truly left for dead in the Arizona sun since 1990...

Wow, great job. Been working on my project a 82 GS1100 that has been left outside for close to 20 years. May have to take engine out to get it as clean as yours came out. Power wash?

Comment

Thanks for your interest guys. I've had this for close to a year already, but have almost everything I need to get it together finally.
                I used a soda blaster to clean up the engine, then re polished and painted it, along with new stainless bolts, gaskets and seals.
                Pulling it makes it easier to check engine over good....(I blasted before I pulled engine covers off)

It's more work, but there is no way to clean an engine up right, while still in the frame. My frame needed attention as well, so the motor had to go.
                Sorry I haven't gotten the color code yet, my other projects took my thoughts away from the GS. I did find a clean matching tail, but I still need to paint the seat base.
                I've got a reminder for myself to check at work tomorrow, for our paint supplier to bring out their color gun, to scan the factory blue.

Comment

Trying to decide where and how I want to mount my oil cooler, and steering damper....think I might mount damper to the head.
                  The fork brace fit just like it was supposed to luckily...

Comment

Probably a dumb question here but why the need for a steering damper?
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      Probably a dumb question here but why the need for a steering damper?
                      Some tracks and racing organizations require them

Comment

Finally got around to welding my steering damper bracket on....which was the reason I mocked it up in the first place (as well as seeing how the 83 GS1100 forks would look)...
                        Now to tear apart again and get frame looking new...

Just enough clearance for full lock to lock, and still room for the oil cooler....which I figured out how to mount as well....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Finally got around to getting the steering head bearing races out of the frame last week...

IMG_0111.jpg Had to weld washers onto both races to get them knocked out

dropped frame off at the sand blaster/powder coat shop today.
                          Hope to have back in a couple weeks...obviously I'm in no hurry, since I've been moving this slow so far....

Hope to start and get my bolts replated while frame is away, and I can get engine back in as soon as frame comes home.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Just got back from vacation this week, and my frame was all done with the sandblast/powdercoat procedure...

Comment

You holiday in California by any chance? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5676615944.html

I know you are going resto-mod but it still nice to see the rear frame loops still intact.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X