No announcement yet.

78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recognize that CBX rear end in frame pic. Got a few pics of CBX and Kat at Rockers Reunion. Good to finally meet you. My Water Buffalo ran flawlessly as always. I took the smoker to Mid-Ohio with my 1000SN and Katana, had a great time! Did you make Mid-Ohio?
    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Going to look very very tricky..... Quick question (if I can be cheeky)

what width are the spoked rims .... Is it a stock C hub ?
      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        You holiday in California by any chance? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5676615944.html

I know you are going resto-mod but it still nice to see the rear frame loops still intact.

The bike was too complete to chop up, plus I don't think any tail could look better with the original tank
        Went to the Bahamas to do some shark diving....
        And get married...

As far as getting another two stroke..... I did that this week.
        Taking the slow boat from Japan.
        Yes........it is still wearing it's original paint.

Originally posted by viperg View Post
        I recognize that CBX rear end in frame pic. Got a few pics of CBX and Kat at Rockers Reunion. Good to finally meet you. My Water Buffalo ran flawlessly as always. I took the smoker to Mid-Ohio with my 1000SN and Katana, had a great time! Did you make Mid-Ohio?
        Your GT was the coolest smoker there...glad I got to finally meet the person behind the forum name.
        I was on vacation the same week/weekend as Mid Ohio...
        Plus, I doubt I would have gone with a high single day entry fee of $40 a person...... just to look at parts...

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
        Going to look very very tricky..... Quick question (if I can be cheeky)

what width are the spoked rims .... Is it a stock C hub ?

The wheels are 3.5x18 and 2.75x18....tires are 150x70x18 and 110x80x18
        The hub is a GS1000 from a old drag bike on rear, the front hub is actually from a GT550
        Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the marriage and the wedding present to yourself.
          I do not know much about the RG marque but a quick search has me guessing a '96 VJ23?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Congrats on the marriage and the wedding present to yourself.
            I do not know much about the RG marque but a quick search has me guessing a '96 VJ23?
            Dead on the money

Only a 7 month total production run.....2218 total bikes ever built
            This was about half the price of my first choice, a RZV500 (which I will forever dream about), yet considerably more rare. Only about a 1/3 are believed to still be complete...the rest have been raced/crashed and/or parted over the past 20 years.

image.jpg

For a company that built only two strokes until 1976, (unless you add in the RE5...then it would 1975).
            This was the very last true street two stroke Suzuki built
            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Moving slow....but still moving...
              Soda blasted my front end, and have triples ready to polish up a bit.
              The GS1100E forks will get completely pulled apart, as I have all new bushings top and bottom....and a few other goodies to make them work better than new.
              Then the lowers will get the brushed polish look as well......
              No blackout treatment in any form on this bike....I like the look of aluminum...

Comment

I would paint the tripples black though so it flows along with the frame and guages myself. I left my triples on my 77 750 palin and now wished I had blacked them out as it just doesnt look right to me.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I will probably test fit parts quite a few times before it's all bolted down for the last time....
                  That way I will see which way works with the rest of the bike.

Comment

This week I am determined to start getting my bolts, and all other types of fasteners and so on zinc plated...in my own laboratory so to speak.
                    So until then, I figured I would show various points in this bikes metamorphosis, as to the direction of the buildup.
                    One step backward into time.

Looking at how the 3.5x18 and 2.75x18 wire wheels look with the GS1100 swingarm.

My Ebay find gas tank, that I couldn't move forward without....had to have a 78 tank...
                    The original had over 50 holes in it after a vinegar cleanout.

Almost went with the 86 GSXR 1100 wheels and front end....but I really wanted a bit of nostalgia with the wire wheels...

Comment

Please please please...IM BEGGING...get a scan of that paint..........PLEASE!!!!!
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Please please please...IM BEGGING...get a scan of that paint..........PLEASE!!!!!
                        It's in my Jeep...
                        Taking it in to work tomorrow.... Finally

Comment

The mixing dept. has the part for matching.
                          should have the code and some paint by Friday.

Comment

Shiny parts

They have had my tail section for a week....and still no matching paint...
                            The color eye they use could not find a match. so they are supposedly trying to match it by eye/spray out tests...
                            If they do that, I'm skeptical on how well it will match, and there will be no paint code with it...
                            I am still trying on the paint, but still no definite answers for anyone looking for the 78 blue skunk.

But on the positive side.....I have actually got started on a project I have blown off for probably 8-9 months now.
                            I am replating my bolts/parts....Which means I will be bolting this damn thing back together soon, finally.

Chemistry class....taught by philosopheriam............​thanks again

Comment

ENGINE IS IN......!!!!!

engine is IN (6).jpg

Comment

Nice and shiny....
                                This replating bolt thing, is more work than I had thought....Now that I started, I feel I have to do every single one.
                                Otherwise the one bolt I let go, will be the only one people see.

As far as paint match...They could only get it close...but not close enough, and no code to make more.
                                They said they would send it to Ohio where their lab is, and would match it.....I said maybe this winter.....
                                Not that trusting with these clean original painted parts....and when they were running the eye over the tail, they put light scratches all over it....
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X