No announcement yet.

78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its looking great...... and I missed the Melonfest....
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Got a close-up of the steering damper mount?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The melon fest's interactive entertainment can not be described in this forum properly....
        .....although I still remember it quite well

let let me know if this view of the mount, is what your were asking for
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pic.
          Years ago i had one mounted on the frame rail closer to the tank.
          Had a long travel damper that i could foul with my knee when i was out pretending to be fast.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

This damper was pretty stiff, so I moved it in closer to the pivot to get better leverage.
            I took the lock to lock distance, and the total travel length of damper, to find the right points to mount it.
            If my knee hits it....I'll be in a world of trouble...

Comment

Forks are all cleaned up, and new parts ready to go in.
              Not sure exactly what I'm going to do about the anti dive yet... I will keep it on the fork, but not sure if I will put a brake line on it, or threaded adjuster.
              I cleaned them, and they work perfectly fine now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice. Between this and the picture Vmass posted in my fork thread, I feel like a major slacker on my own fork job..... (rebuilt on bike)
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

If anyone is a slacker, it's me.... I've been dragging this out for way over a year, and just recently getting it back to somewhat of a roller.

my computer completely died after 8 years this past weekend....so I can only post pics through phone...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully have the forks done by the weekend, and front end bolted all together...
                    this was an old GS fork ( I wanted to see it on two wheels)
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's all good. I'm enjoying this thread.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Holding its own weight once again... Forks are done, have some stand in rear shocks until I get my other piggybacks rebuilt...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks great. Always a good day when shes a roller again. Any thoughts on getting a scan of the paint yet??? I know, and yes i am shamelessly begging again...LOL
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Looks great. Always a good day when shes a roller again. Any thoughts on getting a scan of the paint yet??? I know, and yes i am shamelessly begging again...LOL
                            I took the tail piece 5-6 weeks ago into work to have our paint supplier run a scanner over it.
                            After having it for about a week, they said the scanner couldn't pick up any code.
                            They said they would have their top mixing guy try and make a match (which would have no corresponding paint code)
                            After another week, they asked how close I needed the paint to match....I told them to bring me the tail back, and I would figure something else out. They told me then they were sorry that the color was so difficult, and they offered to take it to the RM lab and they could match it for sure in Ohio.
                            I told them maybe this winter, after seeing how scratched up my tail was from them rolling the scanner over it 20 times or more.

Comment

If you send me the tail I will have my guy in OKC do it. Hes one of the best I have EVER seen. If you follow any of my recent rebuilds youll see his paint matching skills there I will even have him mix a pint for you and send it back with your part.

I dont know why there would be so much as ONE scratch from them scanning though. The scanner my guy uses has a soft rubber seat around the lens and it looks like an old polaroid camera actually. He puts it on the part and the scanner never twitches after that. He snaps a picture ( scan ) 3 times and the computer prints a mix code in seconds flat. Its never failed on anything i have taken him yet!!
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-27-2016, 09:02 AM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Finally decided on a front fender... Cut down one from a GS1100E. Needed to have clearance for the oil cooler...and look cool in my opinion.

as far as sending out the tail for paint match....I probably won't pull it back off till winter now if I do.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X