What order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What order?

I have my 1982 GS1100GL engine back together and firing on all four. Now I want to dial it in but I'm not sure what order to follow. I have all the toys, (i.e., Colortune, Motion Pro SyncPro, timing light). Does it matter which I do first? My plan is the following order:

Timing
    Carb sync
    Mixture

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Your timing is factory set, so you can confirm it at least

Otherwise, you are correct, providing the valves are adjusted
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Your timing is factory set, so you can confirm it at least

Otherwise, you are correct, providing the valves are adjusted
      Thanks.

I did an overhaul of the engine; valves, cylinders, rings, etc. I adjusted the shims during assembly and they are all within tolerance. Because of the tear-down I thought checking timing would be necessary.

Comment

Ignition timing would only be disturbed if you moved the plate at the right end of the crank.

As you assembled, you should have verified (several times) the valve timing.

After that, I would open the mixture screws on the carbs to about 3 full turns out to ensure they are running rich enough (easier to run than if running a bit lean), then warm up the bike, do a carb sync. While the gauges are still connected, do a mixture tune. As you lean each mixture screw, the engine will slow down a bit, causing the vacuum to drop in ALL the gauges. When it drops, turn that screw back out about 1/4 turn, go to the next carb.

Comment

Working...
        X