Sacrilegious headlight replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sacrilegious headlight replacement?

We all know how difficult it is to find a good headlight. Buckets are easy, that large glowing eye is the tough one. I had never liked having to mount one of those aftermarket "Xanadu" headlight assemblies even though they are made in steel and look okay, the bucket was too small to hold all the wires. I was at a friends the other day and as he was talking I was rummaging through his boxes of weird and mis-matched parts. I came up with a headlight assembly that said Yamaha on it. It was bigger in both headlight and bucket, I asked if he would let me take it and see if the mountings would work and he said take it. Turns out it is off an early XS1100. Low and high beam work, and the adjuster also works. It allowed me to mount the original headlight brackets which I could not do with the "Xanadu" light, bolt hole on bracket too small for bolt. I think this works, temporarily anyway.

Now I know I should NEVER put a Yamaha part on my beloved Miss Bugly and will be duly chastised for it, but I gotta admit, the bucket holds the wires much better (no stuffing) and the look of the bucket and light fit right in to her personality and persona. If this gets my place in the GSR dinner table cancelled, I will miss you all.

1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
    1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
    1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
    1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Hey if it works and the price was right I'd say you got it made. Seriously it looks really good.

Comment

Thanks much. She needs all the love she can get. I'll give her a hug from you.

Comment

I think Yamaha used the 8" light on certain models for a short time. Go with it....
        Sacreligious? I ran a 7 incher on my old 1100e for a short time after a crash.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          I think Yamaha used the 8" light on certain models for a short time. Go with it....
          Sacreligious? I ran a 7 incher on my old 1100e for a short time after a crash.
          The 1982 XJ650 Seca used an 8" headlight. Unfortunately, the Yamaha ring won't fit on the Suzuki bucket, and vice versa. The mounting holes are in different places.

I have been looking for a Seca headlight for years, because about ten years ago I scored a NOS 8" Seca bucket for $30. Still have the bucket in the original box, waiting for a headlight to match up with it.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

If you hadn't mentioned it here, nobody would have known about it.

Comment

"If you hadn't mentioned it here, nobody would have known about it"
              Until on a ride when someone looking over the bike says "hey, this is a Yamaha headlight!" I just wanted to preempt any clash of sensibilities.

Besides, everyone likes to see what others have done to their bikes, even if it is not quite up to certain standards...LOL!

Comment

It must have been an 1100 Special or something. My cousin had a 78 XS1100 and it had a rectangular headlight. I'm assuming you won't enter this in a concours event, so no worries. Is there even a concours event for bikes?

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I'm not a square headlight fan, had a couple of bikes with them.
                  I have an aftermarket light on the 1000. My stock one was pretty scratched up....

1979 GS1000

Comment

Huh, after 20 years of wearing a Kwak GPZ1100 headlight on the GS, that rectangular unit got fitted to the XS650 today. It was one of the best stock headlights of the 80s and is still damn good, especially with an LED in it.
                    It looks right at home on the XS, too.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The annual Concours de Elegance in San diego usually has a motorcycle class, but those are Vincents, Excelsiors, Indians and other odd and very collectable bikes. I doubt they would allow a 1983 GS1100E even in showroom condition. Too Japanese (1969 Sandcast CB750 notwithstanding.)

I think you are right, I remember the early XS1100s as having a square headlight too.

Comment

The gpz headlight doesn't bother me, since it fits the bike better, visually.
                        I put over 60k miles on my stock xs650 and a halogen bulb did help!

1979 GS1000

Comment

You kidding right. I have Ford bolts holding things together on my 650. And my Camaro Z28 has carb-boot clamps from my 1978 gs750, which are holding the Grease-boots on, for the steering system, and a bunch of other crap too. They actually fit Perfect. Geez I'm frankensteined so much **** together, I lost count years ago, haha.

Comment

I gotta frankenbike, too! A gpz with gsxr front and rear.
                            The purists probably don't like it, but what the heck!

(I know guys that have Ford rears on their Chevys.)
                            Last edited by gsgeezer; 05-04-2016, 10:14 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

That looks really good. When I picked up my GS1100GL it had a broken windjammer and of course, no headlight or blinkers underneath. I picked through some boxes at a friends shop and found a couple of aftermarket brackets, blinkers from ??, and used a bucket from a GS750. Looks a little funky, but the wires fit inside and all worked out great!
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                              X