Cheap Brake Bleeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Brake Bleeder

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

The reviews on this sounded kind of tepid but I picked one while getting some other stuff. It works fine. There is a tube sticking down in the reservoir and you add an inch of clean brake fluid before you open the bleeder and start pumping. That way, you don't suck air when you release the brake because the tube is submerged in the fluid you added to the reservoir. It would be more convenient if the reservoir was a little larger because you have to empty it once before finishing. If you could find a larger bottle that had the same size mouth and threads that would help (or just adapt something.) There is a little magnet that lets you just mount the reservoir on something ferrous like the disc. I guess the only work it saves is opening and closing the bleeder screw but for $5.99 I think it's worth it. Makes it less awkward to operate the screw and the pedal at the same time.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Anything that avoids repeated opening and closing of the nipples has to be a good thing. Corrosion is bad enough without a tool helping the rounding process along. I've fitted stainless bleeders. May have gotten myself into a whole new regime of corrosion - we'll see.
    I use gravity to bleed. Front is fairly quick. I may have helped the back along with a squeeze or two. As always a half full jar of old fluid with a clear hose down to the bottom.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Maybe I should start another thread for this question. I have some speed bleeder nipples somewhere that I bought and never used. Do I need to purge the system to take out the stock bleeders and put in the speed bleeders? Someone told me that if you don't push on the brake or lever when you unthread the stock bleeder it will just ooze a little since it is not really under much pressure and you can quickly thread in the new bleeders and wipe up the small amount of brake fluid with a damp rag. Sound reasonable?

Last edited by 1948man; 05-07-2016, 06:22 PM.
      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

You can buy special pliers for crimping shut rubber brake hoses - so the flow of fluid stops.

You can replicate this with a small pair of Vise Grips loosely gripping the hose.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks, also found this answer to the speed-bleeder question. It's actually NOT a good idea to install them on a purged system.
          http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/We install Speed Bleeder Brake Bleeders on a bike and show you how they work. A perfect way to easily bleed and service you...

1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
            .....It's actually NOT a good idea to install them on a purged system.....

What's the reasoning behind this? I can't see how it would make any difference.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

In the video, they say that due to the way the check valve functions, if the system is dry with the speed bleeder installed it takes forever to pump fluid in from the reservoir because the air doesn't pump as well as fluid. Or something like that.
              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
              X