How many motorcycles is enough? One mans collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    Holy crap!! This is in my neighborhood and I have not heard anything about the guy or the collection. But then again, a lot happens that I never hear about.
    I am going to have to contact this guy so I can see it first hand.
    I lived in the Bellevue area for 42 years and Glenwood, Iowa is within 30 miles of where I live now.
    Gotta get in touch.
    Please do, give him my regards and take a camera (and a trailer if you are in a buying mood).

Originally posted by charnotx View Post
    If I'm ever in the area it ID definitely make the trip. I love seeing collections and hearing the stories behind how they came together. It really speaks to someone's soul when you learn about their passion
    Just give him a heads up before you show up, it's just better for everyone

Comment

Here is a link to an article on his collection

Comment

A well written article.
        He seems like a good guy to have for a friend.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice read.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Great read... That gentleman need to invest into a California duster!

I keep 3 myself, for now, with one always on CL. I only have time to ride 2 and since I bought my new cage I ride even less... I got back into a minty GS for I just LOVE riding them... The Honda is a blast to ride for miles. The Connie just eats miles. The GS will be my perfect weather rider and my stead for GSR meets.

I couldn't justify owning all those bikes... Unless I had millions in the bank...

Great share thanks!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Like the other posters I had no idea this enterprise existed. The fact that it did not exist until 2009 is probably why so many of us were unaware. I like the idea that it all started with an act of loyalty to a lost friend's dream. The timing with regard to the aging of the boomer generation (both here and abroad) was no doubt fortuitous. Great to see so many of these old bikes preserved and appreciated for the fantastic machines they were in their time and still are.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Pretty awesome. reminds me of a labor job I did once setting up auction tents in Auburn, Indiana.
                They had airplane several hangers full of the most beautiful cars of every make and had to drive golf carts to get around.

Maybe a bunch of those were "Her's" bikes like "His and Her's" and the her"s one sat in the garage mostly.
                I bought a '86 honda magna in '03 with 10k miles like that.
                Odd thing (really odd thing) I was talking with seller and only a few males lived in the house and was noticing he was a little by little seeming different then noticed his roomate's bike was same bike except black (instead red) with much more miles and dings...Lol , it was a great bike though.

EDIT: forgot mention I really have a few bikes in mind: A very nice shiny cruiser for showing off/riding a nice petite lady passenger on back seat, a super fast sport bike, a custom chopper, a dirt bike , a four-wheeler, possibly a scooter or small commuter bike for short trip, a fast durable bike to bang around (current bike fits that) probably a touring bike with some small luggage space. Then need parts or parts bike for each and I'd be happy but need one that is constantly a "for sale bike" too since people usually ask. That's only nine or so not counting parts bikes .
                Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

The answer to the original question is always the same......one more than I have.

Comment

The answer to the question "How many motorcycles are enough?" If how ever many he wants. I love the eccentricities that freedom creates and encourages. As long as he isn't hurting anyone then, more power to him.

Comment

As they say in AA (and CA, NA, SA, FA...) One is not enough, and one is too many.
                      1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
                      1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
                      1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
                      1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

Great collection! I wonder how many plugged up carbs. he has?
                        78' GS1000EC
                        79' GS850GN
                        79' GS1000N
                        79' GS1000EN
                        81' GS1100EX

Comment

Actually Jake, the saying is "ONES TOO MANY AND A THOUSANDS NEVER ENOUGH". Ive been in recovery for over 25 years now and have heard it all..trust me!! LOL
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Voted. Never say too many!

Comment

I've personally owned a pretty large number of bikes solely for the purpose of having friends and family use them. What's beter than bringing your brothers and brothers in law along on a trip? Its hard to beat a GS for that. Right now, I still have 2 guest bikes, a GS850G with 10,000 miles, and a GS1000E with about 35,000.

Cool collection. I saw a few I have owned, like the 441 Victor, and 850 Commando, CBX. The Commando had Interstate side covers, but a Roadster tank. I would have liked a bit more time in come areas. I wanted an OSSA Pioneer in the 70s, I think that is whaat the white one was. I saw the Hercules. Couldn't tell if it was a dirt bike or one of those Wankels. Its certainly worth a visit.

I voted 3 to 5, but I do like to store a bike or two in far flung areas of the country where I tend to visit, and they add up.
                              Last edited by 850 Combat; 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The actual formula to determine the proper number of bikes a person should have is: N + 1 (N = the current number of motorcycles owned)

Comment

Working...
                                X