Dropping Bias tread from a GS650L, shafty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Park View Post
    But that's only $10 in real money…..or 9 gallons of crude oil. Besides, a tube costs that or more now, so you've broken even.
    True, but Canada's Motorcycle sells an equivalent for $7.29.

Purchase the BikeMaster Chrome Tubeless Valve Stem - 151402 at Canada's Motorcycle. Free shipping and Easy returns.

Since I am buying a set of tires from them shortly I will add the valve stems in and get free shipping on it all.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Many bikes have bigger valve stem holes and some use rubber valve stems, so these can use the same valve stems as cars. And some folks have drilled out the valve stem holes in their GS wheels in order to use more easily available valve stems, although that doesn't seem like the best idea to me. See what you have and buy the appropriate valve stems. All the GS wheels I have encountered use the smaller diameter valve stems unless they've been drilled out.

NAPA used to carry motorcycle valve stems -- part # 90-426 (or NTH 90426), "Motorcycle Tubeless Clamp-In Tire Valve - TR430, 1.19" length, fits .327 rim hole". I bought a batch last year, and they told me they were discontinuing them, so I bought all they had in stock.

NAPA's web site shows that they're still available for special order, so they must have just meant they weren't going to stock them in the stores any more:
      https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search/?text=90-426
      Very likely that a PO along the line had drilled out the holes on my GR... I'll look into those options per your recommendation! Especially since I'm the third owner and the second owner that actually rides it. I'm willing to bet if you say the holes are small from the factory that those holes will be too small.

Thanks so much!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

You drill the holes to match the valve stems, easy enough. Make sure the valve stems you buy will be long enough, your rim is pretty thick. It is also popular on some rims to tap the hole 1/8 NPT and screw in a tank valve. About 5 bucks. Many rims have the correct size hole for tapping already. Use a Loc-Tite sealer on the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          ...but the cost is $13/each up here so it is an expensive option.

Mark
          A few dollars extra is nothing from a safety standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
            A few dollars extra is nothing from a safety standpoint.
            While I agree, I can buy the same thing from a different supplier for $7 so there is no point in spending $13.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
              While I agree, I can buy the same thing from a different supplier for $7 so there is no point in spending $13.

Mark
              True, that!

Comment

Working...
              X