Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing chain and cam re-installation

Hi,

My son and I are rebuilding a GS 400E, 8 valve.

We reassembled everything as per the manual, and when we went to turn it over to do the valve adjustment, it would not turn over.

We took it back apart, and started with the chain only, the crank turns over well.

We installed the exhaust cam (without the chain) ad it turns over well.

We installed the intake cam (without the chain) and it spins well.

We reinstalled everything ant it did not turn over again.

We have made sure that the chain is tight, and that there are no kinks in it.

Any suggestions, we are not engine rebuilders by any stretch.

Also, the related marks on the point plate for setting the timing do not place the right cylinder at TDC. (at least by looking through the spark plug hole) any thoughts. Which should we trust.

Thanks

Do you have the Suzuki service manual? It has step by step instructions for setting the cam timing. Very important that it be done correctly. I hope you didn't force the valves against the top of the pistons.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

we are following the instructions of the manual exactly. however it is not a SUZUKI manual, it is another one that i found on line.

Any suggestions where to get an original manual?

Just when everything is installed we can only rotate the engine about half a turn.

Comment

Try here:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How about a pic showing the camshafts at the TDC mark?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X