• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Hey! I've seen that somewhere huh lol.
    Yes sir!

I still have the kit in my Tank Bag.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

So I have my 530 chain kit from Z1. It looks pretty much like picture a couple posts down. It has 18x49 sprockets and 116 link chain. When I put the chain on with adjusters in the middle, the chain looks very loose. I am hesitant to cut any links, but but before I install and rivet the master link. I that I would ask for opinions. I can post a picture if that is any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Simmons1 View Post
        So I have my 530 chain kit from Z1. It looks pretty much like picture a couple posts down. It has 18x49 sprockets and 116 link chain. When I put the chain on with adjusters in the middle, the chain looks very loose. I am hesitant to cut any links, but but before I install and rivet the master link. I that I would ask for opinions. I can post a picture if that is any help.
        You might want to try pushing the wheel as far forward as possible after backing off the adjusters, then pull the chain tight by hand and look to see if you can remove two more links.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll do that and report back before cutting anything. I was reading another thread where the person had 50 instead of 49 rear sprocket and cut one link that the hainm was too short. Will go back to the chain after I finish putting the clutch cover back on. This is on a GS1000S it it makes any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Simmons1 View Post
            I'll do that and report back before cutting anything. I was reading another thread where the person had 50 instead of 49 rear sprocket and cut one link that the hainm was too short. Will go back to the chain after I finish putting the clutch cover back on. This is on a GS1000S it it makes any difference.
            That was probably me. Remember that when you take the bike off the center stand your chain slack tightens by about a full inch or more. I wonder why they sent you a 49 rear when the 18/50 set gives as close as you can to the 15/42 combo. Works out an decrease in RPM of only around 40 at 60 MPH. 18/49 would give you around 250 RPM decrease. Just guessing at that from the calcs in my head. LOL. You might want to actually run the numbers. I'd probably run the chain as is for now and at some point when you run out of adjustment remove the links then.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

With this thread being as informative as it is I figured this was a good place to pose the question as to if I have this correct... 81 Gs1100e is the bike and I just wanted to make sure I have the sequence correct. I took off the 630 front and it was nut, lock washer, a large spacer, sprocket and finally the collar in the seal.
              I replaced with these items from the outside for a 530 conversion in this order... nut, lock washer, 6mm spacer, sprocket and again the same collar in the seal against the motor. This is correct is it not? I just want to clarify for my piece of mind. One of the pics shows the large spacer that came off and I did not reuse. Thank you guys....
              Attached Files
              -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
              -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
              -1981 Vespa P200E
              -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
              -1982 Ktm 495
              -1981 Ktm 495
              -1989 Atk 406
              -1987 Cr 500R
              -1982 Yz 125

Comment

The new sprocket....
                Attached Files
                -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                -1981 Vespa P200E
                -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                -1982 Ktm 495
                -1981 Ktm 495
                -1989 Atk 406
                -1987 Cr 500R
                -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Yes that's correct. The original OEM sprockets had a raised area on the outside (nut side) to accomodate some rubber chain dampers. Most after market sprockets do not have that and require the spacer to make up the difference as the countershaft doesn't have enough threads to properly tighten the nut. This applies to both the aftermarket 530 and 630 sprockets as the sprocket and chain width are the same.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

This was the one you bought from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                      Yes that's correct. The original OEM sprockets had a raised area on the outside (nut side) to accomodate some rubber chain dampers. Most after market sprockets do not have that and require the spacer to make up the difference as the countershaft doesn't have enough threads to properly tighten the nut. This applies to both the aftermarket 530 and 630 sprockets as the sprocket and chain width are the same.
                      Thank you, she will get torqued down promptly!
                      -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                      -1981 Vespa P200E
                      -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                      -1982 Ktm 495
                      -1981 Ktm 495
                      -1989 Atk 406
                      -1987 Cr 500R
                      -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Glad I found this thread the old 630 chain on my 1000E is on it's last legs. About to order the 530 stuff.

Comment

It works fine. Just make sure to remember that the spacer goes on the outside of the front sprocket under the nut
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Good to know cause that's something I would have screwed up for sure ha.

Comment

Working...
                            X