~Fork seal removal~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~Fork seal removal~

I never thought to take pictures but your smart enough to get the idea.

For those pesky, stubborn PIA fork seals I used a tire spoon to wedge them out. Literally took a few seconds. (Mine had the metal spacer under the seal)

With the bent lip and the curve of the spoon it was an easy peeze move with no inside scouring. A little electrical tape on the end doesn't hurt.

Might help someone down the road.

Thanks for the tip. Why didn't I ever think of that? Were the seals bungled when you got them out or were they reusable[ish]?
    '82 GS450T

Comment

I think I will try this next time. I hate changing the seals.
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
        Thanks for the tip. Why didn't I ever think of that? Were the seals bungled when you got them out or were they reusable[ish]?
        John, I said the same thing!

Cant answer the second part as I never re-use fork seals. It did pop them out pretty nice however.

Comment

what am I missing? once the allen screw is out of the bottom and the circlip is off the top of the seal, the stanchion works as a slide-hammer in the tube and the seals pop out...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            what am I missing? once the allen screw is out of the bottom and the circlip is off the top of the seal, the stanchion works as a slide-hammer in the tube and the seals pop out...?
            Maybe you're thing about the damper rod and valve. Or you need a second cup of coffee; or I'M missing something.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

ah,so.coffee!- it's my GS650 and a Honda come out like this..also 82 1100E.

Comment

I just took my air compressor and inflated cracked a beer and waited until they popped out took maybe 3 minutes just be careful on the initial inflation if the forks are compressed they spring up quite quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                  I just took my air compressor and inflated cracked a beer and waited until they popped out took maybe 3 minutes just be careful on the initial inflation if the forks are compressed they spring up quite quickly
                  That does not sound nearly as satisfying as literally ripping the fork leg apart.

Comment

Maybe I'm a little simple.
                    I just drive a number 6 or number 8 deck screw into the top of the seal and yank them out. Anyone else? no?

Just me then...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      On some bikes that works quite well, but on others, the inner fork tube will slide right out.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X