Cam chain and adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain and adjuster

Moved from here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...sioner-problem .

So I removed and checked my factory cam chain tensioner. It was rebuilt and functions properly. I was getting a noise which sounds like cam chain noise but with a light knocking sound.

Upon on removal I realized the auto tensioner was extended all the way, and I mean ALL the way. It was installed properly with lock screw turned out 1/4 - 1/2 turn after install.

There is a new rear cam chain guide installed, cam chain was measured while engine was disassembled and was below max wear limit. How much below you ask? About .040". Still below limit I said so I will not replace it.

BIG MISTAKE!

After playing with the tensioner tonight it functions perfectly. I did however figure out that when it is at its max outward travel it will free play "in" about .100".

So so I am figuring with cam chain worn "close" to max limit, the tensioner is compressing and causing the light knocking noise from the cam chain as it slaps because the tensioner is moving in.

It it moves in because when it is all the way extended the roller ball in the adjuster is not touching the ramped slope on the adjuster plunger, thereby moving the plunger in and out causing chain slackness and noise.

Make sense?

Guess I am going to order a new chain from APE and pull this freshly assembled engine with 10 minutes of running apart, again! F A C K
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post

Guess I am going to order a new chain from APE and pull this freshly assembled engine with 10 minutes of running apart, again! F A C K
    Not sure why you'd pull the engine apart to change a tensioner, it's on the outside.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Not sure why you'd pull the engine apart to change a tensioner, it's on the outside.
      Yes it is, but the chain is inside, one continuous loop around the crank. Read more carefully
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

On the other hand, YOU might be the one to "read more carefully". It is very common to mis-read the directions for installing the tensioner.

You mentioned that "Upon on removal I realized the auto tensioner was extended all the way". Did you lock the tensioner in place before removal? If not, OF COURSE it's going to extend all the way when you remove it.

If the tensioner is assembled and installed correctly, there is NO way that it will "freeplay". I think you have some other issues at hand, but if you really insist on going straight to the cam chain replacement, ... have fun.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
          Yes it is, but the chain is inside, one continuous loop around the crank. Read more carefully
          I can read just fine, you say your getting a manual tensioner because the automatic one isn't tightening the chain all the way, even though the chain is still within limits, so why replace the chain?

Actually I couldn't care less, pull the engine apart.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            On the other hand, YOU might be the one to "read more carefully". It is very common to mis-read the directions for installing the tensioner.

You mentioned that "Upon on removal I realized the auto tensioner was extended all the way". Did you lock the tensioner in place before removal? If not, OF COURSE it's going to extend all the way when you remove it.

If the tensioner is assembled and installed correctly, there is NO way that it will "freeplay". I think you have some other issues at hand, but if you really insist on going straight to the cam chain replacement, ... have fun.

Thats correct, extended all the way, and yes, set screw was tightened prior to removal. I probably spend more time reading manuals and following manufacturers instructions than the majority of the people on this forum do, in my trade I am legally responsible to do that. So ya, I can read instructions

Despite what you think you may know, if the plunger is extended to the full out travel, you know the little cut away on the plunger that the set screw makes contact with and is also the travel range for the plunger, it WILL have "freeplay".

The ball on the auto adjuster is not in contact with the plunger when the plunger is fully extended, play with an adjuster, you will see what I mean.

So so if you think I have some other issues at hand, tell me what are they? Seriously I am open to suggestions, learning something new.

So with a new Suzuki rear guide, all other parts installed correctly, chain pretty much at its wear limit, why is the plunger fully extended?

Just so so you know I have talked with one of the smarter professionals on this forum and he said it is the chain because it is near its limit.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I can read just fine, you say your getting a manual tensioner because the automatic one isn't tightening the chain all the way, even though the chain is still within limits, so why replace the chain?

Actually I couldn't care less, pull the engine apart.
              Nope, you still have not completely read everything, I already have the manual adjuster, it is also unable to do its job because of the near max limit chain.

Just so you know, if I take this all apart and find a Fawke up on my behalf I will report back so somebody else will learn from my stupidity and errors.

Have a good fight T

Comment

Wow. You got roasted. Only thing I can think of is that your chain measurement was not correct.
                Usually you are supposed to measure a certain number of links over a certain distance and that is
                how you check to see if the chain is stretched. I used to race a GS1100 but that was 35 years
                ago and don't remember for sure but I think the cam chain is a bicycle chain type affair and I also
                think you can install a new chain with a master link. This would eliminate the chain as a culprit.
                The master link is NOT like the master link used on a drive chain. This guy needs have the plate
                go over the pins and then you stake the ends of the pins (just like they do at the factory on an
                endless chain) and are pretty safe to use. Some folks are put off by the master link chain but
                I have never had a problem with one and have used a number of them over the years. Staking the
                chain is a bit of a challenge when the head is on the bike as you will have to have some unwitting
                assistant hold a backing as you have to whack the pins pretty hard using a punch.

If you are positive the current chain is the correct length, you can always find a stainless steel bolt
                longer than the thing that is in your manual tensioner but I am guessing if its tensioning screw is not
                long enough and the Suz manual tensioner are not long enough then the chain is likely stretched.
                Not sure how you could install cam chain bumper bits and such wrong and if the bike runs OK then
                the chain is obviously circling the bottom sprocket just fine. Anyway, let us know how this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                  Wow. You got roasted. Only thing I can think of is that your chain measurement was not correct.
                  Usually you are supposed to measure a certain number of links over a certain distance and that is
                  how you check to see if the chain is stretched. I used to race a GS1100 but that was 35 years
                  ago and don't remember for sure but I think the cam chain is a bicycle chain type affair and I also
                  think you can install a new chain with a master link. This would eliminate the chain as a culprit.
                  The master link is NOT like the master link used on a drive chain. This guy needs have the plate
                  go over the pins and then you stake the ends of the pins (just like they do at the factory on an
                  endless chain) and are pretty safe to use. Some folks are put off by the master link chain but
                  I have never had a problem with one and have used a number of them over the years. Staking the
                  chain is a bit of a challenge when the head is on the bike as you will have to have some unwitting
                  assistant hold a backing as you have to whack the pins pretty hard using a punch.

If you are positive the current chain is the correct length, you can always find a stainless steel bolt
                  longer than the thing that is in your manual tensioner but I am guessing if its tensioning screw is not
                  long enough and the Suz manual tensioner are not long enough then the chain is likely stretched.
                  Not sure how you could install cam chain bumper bits and such wrong and if the bike runs OK then
                  the chain is obviously circling the bottom sprocket just fine. Anyway, let us know how this works out.
                  I roasted myself by thinking close to max wear limit was acceptable, usually I Usually go "if it's worn that much then replace it".

Yes I considered a linked chain but it was recommended not the way to go.

One of the first things I did was look down the cam chain valley to ensure it was on the bottom sprocket properly, and it was. It also appears there is no wY it could not be.

The bike fired instantly and revs just fine, just the light knocking, cam chain noise.

New Suzuki cam chain on its way, shocking it was only $105.00 Canadian!

Comment

I hate to split the cases to install an endless cam chain and have used master link type quite a few times. The worst is pulling the engine but at least you shouldn't have to remove the top end. There isn't a way for the cam chain to have skipped off the crank sprocket if the bike started. If it had come off somehow, I am thinking the bike would turn over for a tiny bit with the starter and then you would have heard a loud noise.

Kawasaki Vulcans had issues with cam chain wear that was still within the service limit but the installed tensioner mechanism could not take up the slack. There was a part sold for the Canadian Kaw market that was actually the same tensioning device but had a longer throw and these things got VERY popular here in the States as owners discovered the problem could be fixed without yanking the engine and total disassembly. The Vulcan doesn't use the same type chain and a master link isn't possible.

Comment

"After playing with the tensioner tonight it functions perfectly. I did however figure out that when it is at its max outward travel it will free play "in" about .100". "

Not sure what this tensioner looks like, but could you add a tip to plunger's end to add some length so the ball stays on plunger's ramp to eliminate pushback?
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sure that could be done. However, if the chain is stretched that much then I would assume if one was to do that then it would probably a short time before the chain failed.

When end I get the new chain I am going to do a detailed comparison to see how the "stretch" is made. For example is it the links that stretch? Highly unlikely, I think it comes from the rollers wearing down, which means those rollers will eventually fail. I saw a picture of a used chain compared to a new chain and that's what looked to be worn the most.

Comment

If your chain was worn beyond spec, your timing marks would be slightly off but you stated that it runs fine and rev's freely. I would re-check the timing marks and see if they are slightly off, not 1 tooth off because that does not seem the case but even just a fraction of an inch. Sounds like you know what your doing.

just my 2 cents,

Comment

Cams were dialed in 105/107. Timing is where I wanted it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              "After playing with the tensioner tonight it functions perfectly. I did however figure out that when it is at its max outward travel it will free play "in" about .100". "

Not sure what this tensioner looks like, but could you add a tip to plunger's end to add some length so the ball stays on plunger's ramp to eliminate pushback?
                              The manual tensioner is basically a plate with bolt holes that align with the holes on the cylinder head and a threaded "bolt" that goes through it. To install, you just stick it in and tighten the two screws that retain the plate. Then you turn the bolt while observing the chain with the valve cover off and it is supposed to only deflect a certain amount.

It would be problematic to stick something on the end as the thing that was stuck on the end could come off. The more I think about it, if the chain is stretched to the point where more length is required to tension it, the chain may be at the point where it may fail and the chain should be replaced and looking for a way to tension it further than the original design may not be best.

Comment

Working...
                              X