Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a vintage track bike

Hey guys,

I'm slowly acquiring parts to build an 8 valve 750 track bike for the VRRA, I will be using a Katana 37mm front end with fork brace, shortened rear swinger off an 1100E that was professionally done for a GS550, GSXR 750 18" front and rear rims with rotors,77 GS750 frame and engine to keep me in P3 middleweight.

I'm not planning on racing until next year and I have my first child due in a few days so money is tight right now.

My question is regarding the 1100E swinger, it is about 0.5" shorter than the stock 750 tube one. I know this will affect straight line stability but will be quicker in the corners, what do you guys think? Should I sell it and get the stock length 1100E one or can I use this shortened one?

looking forward for everyones input,

cheers

here are a couple pics

Comment

Comment

Subscribed.......... If you need a regular length 1100 swingarm I'm got a few of them, including one that has all the tabs taken off in prep for the track.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

thanks Azr, right now this is just a quick mock up, I'm going to have bushings machined to use the stock pivot bolt, I'm more curious about the handling characteristics of using a shorter swingarm, and I have to have the tabs intact for using a chain guard as per the VRRA rule book

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
            My question is regarding the 1100E swinger, it is about 0.5" shorter than the stock 750 tube one. I know this will affect straight line stability but will be quicker in the corners, what do you guys think? Should I sell it and get the stock length 1100E one or can I use this shortened one?
            What do I think? Unless you are AMA Pro fast (and maybe not even then) I think you won't notice the difference on a heavy, flexy, moderately powered vintage bike like this. Add an extra link or two to the chain and run the axle near the rear limit of adjustment and it will be so close as to be indistinguishable. Unless you are looking for an excuse to get a stock length 1100E swingarm, then ignore what I just said.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks mmatockx, that's exactly what I wanted to hear, lol. I would rather use the parts I have since they cost me nothing and I'd rather use that money for brakes, dyna coils, etc

Comment

Sure, you're only talking theory now.
                About the long term refinement of your race bike, that's what it is.
                Get on the track as soon as you can, and begin the development your track skills. Along the way you will continuously refine your skills and the bike's mechanical tuning.
                That's what the whole experience is.
                Keeping yourself from being swallowed up by the hobby, is a biggie.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  What do I think? Unless you are AMA Pro fast (and maybe not even then) I think you won't notice the difference on a heavy, flexy, moderately powered vintage bike like this. Add an extra link or two to the chain and run the axle near the rear limit of adjustment and it will be so close as to be indistinguishable. Unless you are looking for an excuse to get a stock length 1100E swingarm, then ignore what I just said.

Mark
                  In regards to vintage racing rules, If a person is not following the rules, is NOT winning, the bike is safe and tight, can it still be run? If your not winning would it matter? Example, 4v 1100 have many rules and restrictions. 2v 1000 is like carte blanche.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Not too worried about winning since there is not really any money in it, more for a hobby and getting on the track,if anyone wants a quick read on the rules, bike eligibility and restrictions here's the VRRA website,

I'm doing this more for fun but will keep your advice in the back of my mind Buffalo Bill

Comment

I will also be following along.
                      Heck, maybe in '17 they will add Calabogie to the schedule and you will have home field advantage. haha.
                      When you say the modified swinger is .5" shorter than a stock 750 , do you know how much it was shortened altogether?
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

No, it was given to me on a parts swap, I roughly measured it compared to the stock one. All I know is that it came off a GS550. I actually marshal at Calabogie so yeah, I know every corner by the back of my hand, lol And yes,the VRRA will be at calabogie this year in setpember for the final round.
                        Do you race as well steve?

Comment

No racing for me, just a fan.
                          Hopefully get to Mosport in August but it always seems to conflict with family vacation.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                            In regards to vintage racing rules, If a person is not following the rules, is NOT winning, the bike is safe and tight, can it still be run? If your not winning would it matter? Example, 4v 1100 have many rules and restrictions. 2v 1000 is like carte blanche.
                            Since no one else has answered, I will give it a shot. My experience with racing organizations (not extensive, just local) is that they aren't willing to let you ignore rules if it is obvious, regardless of where you are finishing. None of your competitors may care about it if you are in the back half of the pack but the scrutineers won't let things slide that they notice. What rules are you thinking of not wanting to follow?

What you are describing sounds a lot like a track day to me. It sounds like you just want to get out, ride the track and have fun, which is what track days are for. I don't know if you have raced or not, but it is a very different experience than open track time.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

The amount of time on the track racing is greatly reduced from track days. Like down to 8-10 laps per race day, or for the whole race weekend.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X