Tyre / Tire Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Was Metzler the orig tire ? Cant remember.

Waiting for your reviews. Looks like a nice tire...

The people at Avon tell me the post 2013 (mfg date) road riders shouldn't crack. I have one and its not cracking. Thats after 4 in a row (pre 2013) that did. Im still convinced it was a cold (below freezing) issue.

Well what the Avon people tell you is wrong. My next door neighbor had two new Road Riders put on in October and has less than 300 miles on them. Last month I noted his back one is cracked quite a lot. Date code on the back was 48th week of 14. I am encouraging him to get back to the place he had them installed and have them looked at. He paid, installed on the bike, $450. For that much money they had better damn well not crack

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
      He paid, installed on the bike, $450. For that much money they had better damn well not crack
      Holy #$^%! That is more like high end 17" performance radials than skinny bias ply tires. For that much money they had better be warrantying them, no questions asked.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
        I noted his back one is cracked quite a lot.

These are the contacts I had at Avon. I would let the dealer deal with it. Demand a new tire. Not sure anyone has had a cracked front.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Fahey, Sukoshi <SFahey@avonmoto.com> wrote:
        Hi Dave,
        I am going to have Mark Wagoner in our office contact you regarding this tire as I am on the road this week. The UK has modified the sidewall compound in 2013 in this size to make it more flexible so this issue should be resolved now. Took a while to figure out a fix. So sorry about this. Mark will also send you a labor reimbursement form and as a gesture of goodwill I would like to send you an Avon jacket if you let me know size.

Best regards,
        Sukoshi
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I had a rear crack a few years ago, service from Avon was great, I put on another 5000km before the replacement came in, everything was paid for. Just put another set on now, 4000km, no issues.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            These are the contacts I had at Avon. I would let the dealer deal with it. Demand a new tire. Not sure anyone has had a cracked front.

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Fahey, Sukoshi <SFahey@avonmoto.com> wrote:
            Hi Dave,
            I am going to have Mark Wagoner in our office contact you regarding this tire as I am on the road this week. The UK has modified the sidewall compound in 2013 in this size to make it more flexible so this issue should be resolved now. Took a while to figure out a fix. So sorry about this. Mark will also send you a labor reimbursement form and as a gesture of goodwill I would like to send you an Avon jacket if you let me know size.

Best regards,
            Sukoshi
            Thanks, I am going to print that out and give it to my neighbor!

Comment

So the Metzeler Sportec Klassik? I need a new front tire and I'm just going to upgrade the back also, I have a Dunlop D404 (R) and a Pirelli sport demon (F) had to buy a different tire on a trip 800 miles from home. My question is will the Sportec last longer than the Avons in all generally? I get it that my riding style can wear on tires but head to head? The local tire guy offers Avons for $150R/$125F and the Metzeler is $175R/$170F. I just want to know if the extra cost is worth it? I see everyone loves the Avon RR's..... well, post the 2013 non-cracking tires but new tires with new technology ie the Metzelers have me intrigued
              Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

The Metzeler Klassiks are very new -- first released in 2015 and I don't think they became available in the US until this year.

So there's not a lot of info yet. You could be the first! Unless it'll put you on ramen noodles and baloney sandwiches, why not order a pair, give 'em a thrashing, and report back in the name of Science?

I'm sure they're great tires, but they are arse-crampingly expensive, as per standard Metzeler practice. However, there is a Metzeler rebate offer out there -- not sure if it covers these tires. The size range is somewhat limited, but they do come in 130/90-17 rear and 100/90-19 front. (No 16" rears for the L models, though.)

About time -- Metzeler's old Lasertec and ME models were getting seriously outdated.

In any case, there's no data yet on whether they outlast the Avon RoadRiders.

The Avon RoadRiders are the only tire I've tried on my GS where I can run two rear tires for each front with no issues. And they don't turn evil as they wear, like many lesser tires -- the handling stays great up to the very end. Plus they're a good bit less expensive than alternates from Bridgestone, Michelin, and now Metzeler.

Even up against much cheaper Shinko tires that don't last nearly as long, I've found that cost per mile for the Avons is much lower.
                Last edited by bwringer; 07-01-2016, 12:36 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I do like ramen noodles and baloney.....
                  that being said I just somehow have to justify the extra price difference to the boss....she really decides what my budget is. I will decide and report back

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                    I do like ramen noodles and baloney.....
                    that being said I just somehow have to justify the extra price difference to the boss....she really decides what my budget is. I will decide and report back
                    It's for SCIENCE!
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

well Bwringer,
                      I beg and pleaded with her and showed her some science/physics videos such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KYTJ8tBoZ8 I explained that this would not be possible if I did not get new tires. She finally said yes, so the new metzelers are on their way hope to get them next week

Comment

Look forward to hearing about them!
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I made a thread in the tire section for the metzlers please see that and I will keep it updates as the tires wear

Comment

Working...
                          X