Hello from Central Queensland Australia - 1980 GS1000ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Central Queensland Australia - 1980 GS1000ST

I thought I'd better post my intro here, I bought a GS1000ST in November 2015 from a seller in Brisbane Queensland Australia. I've wanted one since I saw a blue and white model in 1983.
    Fast forward 30 something years and I have a red and white model - Australian spec. Bike has been extensively modified but came with original parts to return to stock form. Bike was raced at some time and has a bit of history.
    The engine has been recently taken out to 1100cc and a whole heap of loot thrown at it, runs extremely well. I'm not sure whether to restore it or leave in it's well used state and admire the patina.

I'm based in Rockhampton Central Queensland and have a few interesting bikes and cars.

This is a wonderful place to visit and I look forward to meeting and conversing with many like minded people. Amazing GS Resources!!

1980 Suzuki GS1000S.jpg

Nice! Welcome to the forum.
    1978 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E
    1982 GS1000SZ
    1983 GS1100ED
    1983 GS1100ESD
    1978 Honda CB750K
    1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Welcome to the forum. How odd that the bike has had it's engine beefed up and a rack thrown on it to boot...must be for the parachute
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thank you, great to be here!

Comment

"Welcome to the forum. How odd that the bike has had it's engine beefed up and a rack thrown on it to boot...must be for the parachute "

Thank you, the previous owner used it as a daily ride to work and back - mustn't have wanted to be late

Comment

G'day boss, which switch block did they put on the aussie spec bike, mine is missing. My left block is plastic and the only right block I can find with the twin throttle cables is a cast alloy one and this seems to be correct on parts diagrams.
            Thanks.
            BC.

Comment

hi Boss,

nice bike, i especially like the S !

May i ask you post the VIN and engine number for my Cooley register ?
              Feel free to post all the pics you like, we love those

BC,

Suzuki sent out the S in different configurations for other parts of the world.
              Differences in paint scheme, rear wheel size, carbs, blinkers, etc.

1979SN had the alloy handlebar switches with push and pull cables, 1980ST the plastic ones.
              Since the functions of the controls differ between the plastic and alloy controls and you have a working plastic left one, you probably have the wiring loom of the ST, so i'd say you need a plastic one on the right.
              But afaik the plastic one is only made with 1 pull cable for the CV carbs so this is interesting.
              Hope someone steps in that knows more.

Rijk
              Last edited by Rijko; 06-04-2017, 02:08 PM.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

The stock stuff I'd keep. The bike looks good as it is and I'd ride the crap out of it.
                Welcome to the forum!
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

BC,

i have your VIN and engine nr. in the registry (very high number VIN, one of the last ST's delivered probably. nov 1980), but have no pics.
                  Do you have something online, or pm me some please ?
                  Thanks !!
                  Last edited by Rijko; 06-04-2017, 02:22 PM.
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

1979SN had the alloy handlebar switches with push and pull cables, 1980ST the plastic ones.

Rijk
                    Thread drift question...but why are two cable throttle systems called "push and pull?" Cables don't push.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Thread drift question...but why are two cable throttle systems called "push and pull?" Cables don't push.
                      LOL good question

I think because when opening the gas, you pull the throttle cable, and pull the throttle valves open.
                      When you close the gas, you pull the other cable and in doing so, push the throttle valves to a closed position.

As opposed to the CV carbs that you use one cable to pull open, and closing (the butterfly valve) is only done by a spring.
                      Last edited by Rijko; 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM.
                      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

Comment

hmmm .. think the joke is on me d*mn i'm slow sometimes
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Bushcreature View Post
                          G'day boss, which switch block did they put on the aussie spec bike, mine is missing. My left block is plastic and the only right block I can find with the twin throttle cables is a cast alloy one and this seems to be correct on parts diagrams.
                          Thanks.
                          BC.
                          G'day BC, I'll take a few pictures when I get home from work this arvo, I have had my bike under wraps for 12 months now - been so busy with work and house renos. Cheers BT

Comment

Working...
                          X