Foot peg Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot peg Assembly

Sorry for the stupid question but trying to take the foot peg assembly apart how do you get this piece off? Seems like 2 bolts are compressed in and nothing on back side to unloosen.

Thanks

Looks almost like this

I kindly welcome you and suggest you go to your profile page and put a signature together that idents your bike as that will be suggested. Not knowing bike type makes any attempt at an intelligent answer tough. I don't have that thing on my bike so can't help you.

Comment

I thought i did, will do.

It's on a 1982 GS1100 GL. Profile pic is latest progress.

Comment

That part doesn't come off...lol. Kidding. It keeps the engine mounted so that's why it's not an easy removal.

Ed
        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-23-2016, 06:09 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

It's a foot peg mount for a 80-81 GS1100E. The swing arm pivot bolt runs through it. If you remove the mount, you'll need to make some spacers or a shorter pivot bolt. It shouldn't be to hard to remove, unless the pivot bolt is seized in the swing arm bearing race... good luck
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I can't verify what bike that goes to, but I can pretty much guarantee that it's NOT for an '82 1100GL.

The 1100GL hardware is virtually identical to the 850GL hardware. This is how it looks on my wife's 850GL:

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When in doubt, I go to one of the parts fisches and look at what the part consist of (you can see what's permanently attached, what other parts bolt to or through it, etc) and verify that it came from whatever bike you're working on.

Here's a fische for the '82 1100L, which shows something that looks slightly different from what you're working on. I have an '82 1100g and my parts don't look like that either.

Shop online for OEM Footerest parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

If that part came from something like eBay or a salvage facility, it could be taken off an '82 but the PO maybe have swapped a part before he lost the bike.

On my bike, I believe some of the bolts go through that piece and thread into the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I can't verify what bike that goes to, but I can pretty much guarantee that it's NOT for an '82 1100GL.

The 1100GL hardware is virtually identical to the 850GL hardware. This is how it looks on my wife's 850GL:

Just like Steve said. This is the '82 1100L assembly. Same as the '83 and the 850L's
                Attached Files
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The picture I posted I got online really fast due to being at work and limited access to websites etc..

It looks more like what Steve posted. I want to keep the pegs but want to get rid of bulky piece. If I could do forward controls and move pegs further up by front of frame but that may be an issue with stator cover being so wide. I will check out diagram and see what can be taken apart to get the bulky part off and keep pegs. Maybe see of can get brass knuckle style pegs.

Comment

That piece serves to mount the pegs, and also has the rear bracket for the exhaust. Without it, you won't have anything to mount your exhaust to unless you fabricated something. You would also need to fabricate a way to mount the foot pegs - that bracket mounts to the frame and I believe the associated holes in the frame are asymmetrical.

Comment

Was thinking of modifying exhaust as in short slash cuts. Maybe wouldn't need the bracket? I have also seen other GS's use bolts but get rid of kick plate (if that's name) and keep stock pegs. So not sure how to get that part out yet bbut also haven't had alot of time working on it either.

Comment

Most of the peg assemblies that i have dealt with are 3 bolts. With 2 usually hidden behind pressed in seal caps. In steves photo, they are the bigger black plug looking things right behind the front foot peg.

Comment

Finally got a chance to work on it. Not hard, took small black caps off and done, unbolt, done.

Now to find different pegs. lol.

Comment

I picked up some pegs from a newer Yamaha FZ. It looks like it has the same angle and hole diameter, and really looks like it would just drop right in. The pegs I bought came riveted to the support and I haven't taken the time to drill out the rivet yet, so I can't say for sure it will fit yet. But I brought my Suzuki peg into a huge dealership that sold a bunch of brands, and walked around looking for similar foot pegs/mounts. Interestingly, the Suzuki pegs have changed and new Suzuki pegs won't work.

Comment

Working...
                            X