Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about valve adjustment procedures

Hello everyone,

Feels a bit weird to make another thread already, but I need some more help :P

So, I'm trying to do the valve adjustment, but I keep getting conflicting info.

1. Clymer manual says to turn the engine until one of the cam lobes is perpendicular, and then measure.
    It is a bit vague though, do I measure each clearance with the cam lobe perpendicular, or is only one cam lobe perpendicular and I measure all of them?

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgm4dwy0TJ4
    This video has it so the cam lobes are 180 to the shims

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIL0eMzRPF8
    This video has the cam shaft notches facing towards each other to measure the intakes and the right hand exhaust, and then the notches facing away from eachother to measure the left hand exhaust.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do now. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right so I get proper measurements.

My guess is that all these methods are right, but I just want to double check, because I can't fit a 0.025mm gauge in any of them.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2016, 05:02 PM.

This is for a 850 as far as I know the way it's done fits the 8 valve engines

the Suzuki workshop manual describes it the same.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

The method in the Clymer manual is wrong. Use the Suzuki Service Manual method.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As I recall you have a 450 so just point the cam lobe away from the valve.

As I recall again, you can't get the feeler gauge in there so try to spin the bucket with your finger. Hopefully it will spin and if so, that means you may get away with only moving the shims one size. You are going to have to remove them to take an inventory. And never turn over the engine without all the shims installed. Remove, measure, reinstall, then go to the next valve. The valves tighten with mileage so when ordering shims you may as well plan ahead and get some spares in the smaller sizes. You will need them eventually.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Alright thank you everyone. Good thing I decided to ask :P

I can't get the buckets to spin, so I'm gonna try going 2 sizes down. The sizes installed ranged from 2.65 to 2.80. Seems a bit large. I ordered one 2.4 to see if I can get any clearance measurements.

Comment

Here's how I've always done it

CamLobePosition.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BoCoMoMann View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46543[/ATTACH]

What some don't realize is that there are quieting ramps on the cams that take up some of the clearance before the lobe proper comes into play. You can see when the lobe is at the follower, but the ramp before that is invisible and however long the manufacturer decided it to be. ??

Methods that avoid tuning the crank for each valve check may save time, but I like to know for sure. The lobe 180 degrees opposite is never wrong.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                What some don't realize is that there are quieting ramps on the cams that take up some of the clearance before the lobe proper comes into play. You can see when the lobe is at the follower, but the ramp before that is invisible and however long the manufacturer decided it to be. ??

Methods that avoid tuning the crank for each valve check may save time, but I like to know for sure. The lobe 180 degrees opposite is never wrong.
                In your diagram, it says "I always suggest using the genuine factory service manual". However, your method is not what the genuine factory service manual says to do.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46543[/ATTACH]
                  This method is fine for a twin bike like the 450. It's not the best method to use for the 4 cylinder bikes though because we need to pay attention to what the adjacent valve is doing. Following the factory Suzuki method is best because it positions two adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    This method is fine for a twin bike like the 450. It's not the best method to use for the 4 cylinder bikes though because we need to pay attention to what the adjacent valve is doing. Following the factory Suzuki method is best because it positions two adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time.

I may have to do mine again?
                    I got different readings when the lobes were opposed and when they were pointing at each other and when they were 180 from the valve.
                    I decided to do them as that diagram on compression stroke. The difference was a couple of thousandths between positions.
                    Is that what you're saying when you say base circle?
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I've been working on motorcycles since the 1970's and managed a few service departments.

What you are saying makes absolutely no sense unless you lack the common sense to know you have to rotate the camshaft for each valve.

Then again, there are always those old screw and lock nut set up's, I can remember fearing shims, now, I prefer them....

I love my FJ1200, it's a cake walk!

BUT - As mentioned, some brands call for different positions, it's always best to verify with the factory (Not aftermarket!) manual.

I have a dislike of those bikes you have to pull the cams on. I bought a Honda 919 new and luckily, like most Honda's, the valves never needed adjustment.

I'll give Honda credit where credit it due. I sure diss them enough.....
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2016, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                        In your diagram, it says "I always suggest using the genuine factory service manual". However, your method is not what the genuine factory service manual says to do.
                        It is exactly what many factory manuals tell you to do.

There are variables.

and disclaimers, such as I used

Comment

I've been working on motorcycles since the 1970's and managed a few service departments.

What you are saying makes absolutely no sense unless you lack the common sense to know you have to rotate the camshaft for each valve.
                          I'm not going to argue with you since you seem to know it all already. Except, you don't know that the Suzuki method of positioning the cams for the 4 cylinder shim motors requires you to put TWO adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time. Failing to do this, such as using your method to position the cams, results in the adjacent valve pushing up on the cam and skewing it in the camshaft journal clearance. Depending on how worn the journals are the valve lash measurement will be about .0015-.002" GREATER than if you use the proper method to position the cams. The GS shim engines use a very tight valve lash range of .03-.08mm (.0012-.0031"), so you can't afford this level of inaccuracy if you want the valves to be properly cared for.
                          Last edited by Nessism; 07-16-2016, 07:35 PM.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you since you seem to know it all already. Except, you don't know that the Suzuki method of positioning the cams for the 4 cylinder shim motors requires you to put TWO adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time. Failing to do this, such as using your method to position the cams, results in the adjacent valve pushing up on the cam and skewing it in the camshaft journal clearance. Depending on how worn the journals are the valve lash measurement will be about .0015-.002" GREATER than if you use the proper method to position the cams. The GS shim engines use a very tight valve lash range of .03-.08mm (.0012-.0031"), so you can't afford this level of inaccuracy if you want the valves to be properly cared for.
                            I had a GS1100E way back in the stoned ages - but that's a different story -

And I have the GS1000 factory service manual binder right here in my hand and you and I both know that is exactly true.

Page 3.5 to be exact -

I applaud you for your ability to be as anal as I am when it comes to certain aspects of repairs.

When I do my valves, I don't make sure they are within spec - I make sure they are all the same, exactly (intakes match/exhausts match).

You sound like you might be that guy as well.

We may need help.....

Comment

That GS1100E is a 16-valve engine that uses a different procedure for checking clearances.

I will repeat what others are saying, which is what the Suzuki manual is saying, but will use some slightly different words.

The manual tells you to position the lobes in a certain way, but the picture they give you is not very clear. For the exhaust (I usually start with 1 and 2), E1 lobe will point FORWARD, E2 lobe will point UP. While those two lobes are in that position, neither one is pushing on its valve and are still both on the base circle, so they are not skewing that side of the cam in its bearing. While those lobes are in that position, measure BOTH, E1 and E2.

Now rotate the crank 180 degrees (1/2 turn), you will find that Intake 1 is pointing UP and Intake 2 is pointing BACKWARD. Measure BOTH, I1 and I2.

Rotate the crank another 180 degrees, you will see that E4 is FORWARD, E3 is UP. Measure BOTH, E3 and E4.

Rotate the crank a final 180 degrees, you will see that I4 is UP and I3 is BACKWARD. Measure BOTH, I3 and I4.

The concept is not hard, once you grasp the idea that both cam lobes are pointing away from their valves at about 45 degrees, so are not pushing on them at all. I believe the factory manual is the only one that uses the words "measure both valves", neither Clymer or Haynes mentions that, they only show an end view of a cam with two lobes and say something to the effect of "use this position", but doesn't say for which valves.

And, BoCoMoMann, if you insist on using your way to adjust the valves, I will respectfully avoid your shop.

EDIT: I just took another look at the picture you posted of the manual. Look in the right-side column, item number 1.
                              Turn crankshaft to bring the exhaust cam of No.1 cylinder to this position.
                              In this condition, read the clearance at the exhaust tappets of Nos. 1 and 2 cylinders.
                              I added the bold for emphasis, but there it is, in your own factory manual.

Last edited by Steve; 07-16-2016, 11:13 PM.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X