Stupid Newby Tricks -- Riding with kickstand down and trying to turn left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post

I like the idea of the rubber flipper though, that would make it a bit more forgiving. I miiiight have to try that!
    Some of the Nighthawks (including mine) actually came with that -- and it's considered a wear item. There's a little 'wear limit' line on them. They don't help much, though; in the interest of science, I tested it in a real-life situation, and it's every bit as disturbing and embarrassing as regular sidestands.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The beauty of modern bikes, you can't start with the stand down. Unfortunately most modern bikes don't have self canceling signals. PS I've left stands down and signals on.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
        Some of the Nighthawks (including mine) actually came with that -- and it's considered a wear item. There's a little 'wear limit' line on them. They don't help much, though; in the interest of science, I tested it in a real-life situation, and it's every bit as disturbing and embarrassing as regular sidestands.
        Yeah, my dad's CB750 had that thing and it didn't really work. The angle the kickstand was at would give the bike a good jolt before it went up like it was trying to dig into the ground. The GS is much easier on the bike and rider.

Comment

I hit a guard rail in a left turn around Monterey, CA after riding all night from Orange County on the way to Yosemite. Just left a gas station, and discovered that I couldn't turn left. Broke my Tracy fairing, broke off the tang on the shift lever, bent both wheels, and cracked a rib. We did make it to Yosemite that day. I didn't know about the rib until trying to stuff my sleeping bag into the stuff bag.

I've done it since then, too, but not with as expensive of result.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
          X