Chicago - Motorcycle parking overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago - Motorcycle parking overnight?

Thinking of making a trip around Lake Michigan and checking out Chicago for a couple days. How safe would it be to park a Motorcycle overnight at a hotel?
    1 of the hotels I was looking at is Heart O' Chicago on North Ridge Ave.

Thanks
    1983 GS750 E - gone forever
    Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
    1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
    2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
    2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Might want to bring a couple sets of extra spark plugs........

Hey Crackhead

Yes, you. You sick ****er. On Wednesday morning I emerged from my girlfriend's building by U.N. Plaza to find that you had sawed the tops off both the sparkplugs on my motorcycle. At the time, I had no idea why anyone would do that. Other than the sparkplugs, the bike was untouched. Some kind of bizarre vandalism? A fraternity prank gone awry? I had no idea. All I knew is that I looked like a huge douchebag riding the Muni to work in a padded motorcycle jacket and helmet.

Because the bike was immobilized I got a $35 street sweeping ticket that night. Thursday I had it towed to the shop ($45) where they replaced the sparkplugs and the boots ($50 including labor). They explained to me that "people" - I use the term loosely here - like you break off the tops of spark plugs and use the porcelain tubes to smoke crack. As an engineer and former MacGyver fan, in a way I think this is kind of cool. But then I remember that I just paid $100 for YOUR crackpipes, and I get angry again.

Crackhead, it was really good to have my bike back though. I rode home from the shop with a couple of spare sparkplugs and a smile on my face. I figured the next time I parked at my girlfriend's place overnight I would have to buy some crackpipes and tape them to my bike as a peace offering. Overall, I wasn't that upset. Despite having to ride the bus for three days and dropping a hundred bones at the shop, I had gained some fascinating knowledge, a new set of sparkplugs, and a pretty funny anecdote about how ****ed up you are, and how our paths once crossed briefly in the night.

But you couldn't just let sleeping dogs lie, could you Crackhead. You couldn't just stay in on Friday, watch Letterman through the window of a home electronics store and then call it a night. You couldn't rest on your laurels. Two porcelain sparkplug crackpipes just wasn't enough for you, was it Crackhead? You just had to come back for more.

This morning, a scant fifteen hours after I rode it out of the shop, I found my motorcycle violated once again. This time you only took the right one - maybe you were having an off night. At least this time I had a spare sparkplug and the tools to fix it - or so I thought - having ordered a 73-piece toolset from SEARS.com last week. But no, the sparkplug socket in my new toolset was for American sparkplugs. So I had to go down to the neighborhood Ace hardware. They had an 18mm socket that would fit over my sparkplug, but it was for a 1/2" drive ratchet. My toolkit only has 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets. So I had to buy a 1/2" ratchet along with the socket. Even though the clerk took pity on me and gave me the senior citizen discount (I'm 25) it still cost me $22 all told. Now, you might say that I should have just gotten a 3/8"-to-1/2" drive adaptor instead of springing for the whole ratchet. And to that I say "Shut the hell up, Crackhead, I'm not finished. And besides, I was eventually going to buy a 1/2" ratchet anyway so it's probably not worth it to take it back now."

OK, now I'm rambling. But the point is, Crackhead, that you have done me wrong. Now, I get that you love crack. That is totally understandable. I've heard it is really fun, at first, and quite addictive. What I don't understand is,

YOU ARE A CRACKHEAD. WHY DON'T YOU OWN A CRACKPIPE?

I am an engineer. Do you ever see me shaking down bums in the Loin for a calculator and sliderule? No, you don't. Because engineering is the main thing I do, I went and bought myself a calculator. The main thing you do is crack. How do you get by without a crackpipe? The other crackheads must clown on you non-stop. I mean, the ****ing saw you used to saw off my sparkplugs is probably worth five or ten bucks. Why not sell or trade it for a crackpipe? You really haven't put much thought into this, have you?

Please, Crackhead, please don't tell me you sold your crackpipe to buy crack. Even a stupid crackhead such as yourself couldn't possibly be that stupid.

I've decided that taping crackpipes to my motorcycle would be tantamount to appeasement. You have crossed a line, Crackhead - specifically California Street. You have come onto my own street and you have desecrated that which I hold dear. You have stolen from me, and you have caused me to spend the last half hour writing this post instead of engineering ****, and it is concievable, if not likely, that my boss could find out about this and fire me. I am hella ****ed at you dude.

Here are my options as I see them:

1. Write a note saying that I have coated both of my sparkplugs in rat poison and tape it to my bike at night. You can thank Tim for that one, it was his idea.

2. Don't write a note, but just coat both sparkplugs in rat poison. This is probably closer to a punishment that would fit your despicable crime. I'm sure this is super illegal and ****, but it's not like anyone is going to miss you, Crackhead. Don't fool yourself.

3. Wait in an alley near my bike armed with my new stainless steel mirror-finish Ace Professional brand 1/2" drive socket wrench, my 18mm sparkplug socket, and my searing rage. It's pretty heavy and well balanced. I am not a large man, but I am angry.

In conclusion, Crackhead, why don't you just do both of us a favor and buy yourself a crackpipe? It will both enhance your crack smoking experience and save me a lot of time and felony assault charges. Think about it.

Sincerely,
    Matt

*** If you are not the Crackhead that took my sparkplugs, please disregard this posting ***
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

uhh...I'd suggest bringing extra plugs

Comment

Not safe at all -my brother's KZ900 lasted about 20 minutes outside a posh hotel
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Very funny note. Thank you.

Comment

Lived in the area 15 years. Would never leave a bike outside in the city under any circumstances. I'd feel a little safer parking it in a 24 hr garage with an attendant but that's still no guarantee.
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

But there is none another way of this situation, if we are going on a trip by parking bike in hotel how we would be sure that our bike is safe or not in hotel parking.

Comment

Park your bike near a security camera if you happen to notice them. The pros would prefer to not be on tape, so they likely will pick someone else’s bike. Use a chain to deter the amateurs.

Comment

I think it'll be safe inside a secure hotel parking garage, because you have to pay to get out, cheap drive by thieves wont be in there.
                  Many many cars inside a hotel parking garage are more valuable than your bike.
                  Call the hotel and ask.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

If possible, park next to a Harley, Gixxer or some similar bike. Your GS will not even be noticed, let alone taken.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Precisely. As Steve says. That's why my touring bike preference is the ST1100. Nobody wants to steal one of those throw away Honda bikes.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                        Precisely. As Steve says. That's why my touring bike preference is the ST1100. Nobody wants to steal one of those throw away Honda bikes.
                        Throw away? That's the first one I'd notice. Well, after the GS of course.....

Oh, but I'm not a bike theif either.

Anyone ever take their bike into the motel room with you before?
                        Last edited by Burque73; 06-05-2017, 10:06 AM.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          Throw away? That's the first one I'd notice. Well, after the GS of course.....

Oh, but I'm not a bike theif either.

Anyone ever take their bike into the motel room with you before?
                          I think Steve does that when he comes to the BC rally. He's a make sure kinda guy.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            I think Steve does that when he comes to the BC rally. He's a make sure kinda guy.
                            To which "BC" are you referring, Bill?

British Columbia or Brown County?

That is also why I ride a 37-year-old Suzuki and a 17-year-old Goldwing. There are a LOT of other bikes that are more appealing to a thief.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by ratatouille View Post
                              Thinking of making a trip around Lake Michigan and checking out Chicago for a couple days. How safe would it be to park a Motorcycle overnight at a hotel?
                              1 of the hotels I was looking at is Heart O' Chicago on North Ridge Ave.

Thanks
                              Sorry Chicago guys, but I'd find some other place to tour and stop. 216 murders in the first half of 2017 and we just started June and there is already 9.
                              Chicago Murders 2017, Chicago Homicides 2017, chicago crime, DNAinfo Chicago, DNAinfo, DNAinfo Chicago, Crime Statistics, Chicago Crime Statistics, Chicago 2017 Crime Statistics
                              GSRick
                              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                              X