Broken Shock Stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Shock Stud

First, I haven't searched for the other threads I know are on the forum yet but I wanted to put this up in case those who have experienced this issue can provide their recommendations.

While mounting Charmayne's new shocks onto her bike, we noticed the right side stud had broken off with most of it still in the nut. Although I am already thinking I will need to weld on some all thread, can I just use a standard nut to secure the shock or do I not have enough thread to do so securely?

Busted stud without shock in place

with shock in place

with shock and outside washer

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

This is a huge safety issue,
    Get a new bit welded on cos I thin the current remnant is seriously compromised.
    Metal tends not to forgive.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

So after reading a few threads, I noticed quite a few said to drill through the stud and insert a new smaller in diameter bolt through it. How hard of metal is that stud and is there any recommendation as to the drill bit type?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

SO terribly wrong of you to do a half assed bodge on a critical component.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Cipher, you have been after me for a long time and I have no clue why. I'm repeating what some very respected members of this forum have recommended doing MULTIPLE Times. If you have nothing substantive to add then please back off

And another note, shock studs are not replaceable so putting a new bit on is not possible

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I've seen it done on many bikes. An M6 bolt will be strong enough - there's very little side loading on a shock mount like that.

Although, I would probably weld some stock on there and cut a new thread (because I have a welder).
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              SO terribly wrong of you to do a half assed bodge on a critical component.
              How half assed of you to post anything at all without showing the correct way to do it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Why don't you just retap the thread you have?
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Cut the compromised thread off and smooth off the stub end. Center punch the stub and pilot drill a 3/16 hole as close to center and as straight as you can. Use WD40 as a cutting oil. This will help the tap drill hold size.
                  If you choose the M6 thread the tap will be M6 x 1 and the drill would be 5mm or a #8.
                  I would prefer an M8 x 1.25 and that tap drill would be a 6.75 mm or a letter I (eye).
                  On your tap drill take your time as it will want to dive in.
                  I'd go at least 15 mm deep. Start the tap straight and back out every half turn or so to break chips.
                  Do not force the tap because if you break it off in the hole well...then you can weld something (which I wouldn't recommend).
                  Use plenty of WD40.
                  IMO that would be your best option for safety.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Why don't you just retap the thread you have?
                    There's only about two or three threads left before you hit the shoulder where the shock sits.

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    I've seen it done on many bikes. An M6 bolt will be strong enough - there's very little side loading on a shock mount like that.

Although, I would probably weld some stock on there and cut a new thread (because I have a welder).
                    Thanks Hillsy. My friend also has a welder and said last night he'd try it but I have to get him more wire first. Hopefully Lowes is open today

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                      Cut the compromised thread off and smooth off the stub end. Center punch the stub and pilot drill a 3/16 hole as close to center and as straight as you can. Use WD40 as a cutting oil. This will help the tap drill hold size.
                      If you choose the M6 thread the tap will be M6 x 1 and the drill would be 5mm or a #8.
                      I would prefer an M8 x 1.25 and that tap drill would be a 6.75 mm or a letter I (eye).
                      On your tap drill take your time as it will want to dive in.
                      I'd go at least 15 mm deep. Start the tap straight and back out every half turn or so to break chips.
                      Do not force the tap because if you break it off in the hole well...then you can weld something (which I wouldn't recommend).
                      Use plenty of WD40.
                      IMO that would be your best option for safety.
                      Thank you sir, I'll give that a shot.

I'm glad I checked the forum before I left for Lowes as I didn't see this when I posted my replies to AZR and Hillsy

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I'm having trouble understanding how studs get broken there. I can easily imagine stripping one. How did it happen?
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          I'm having trouble understanding how studs get broken there. I can easily imagine stripping one. How did it happen?
                          I have my suspicions but am not really sure as I wasn't doing the work - just saw that she had it off.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Sorry to read of your dilema Cowboyup. When I just replaced my tires and had the shocks off, I noticed that my shock stud's threads were pretty buggered up. I cringed at the thought that they might strip or break off but I cut the factory nut to actually thread on. I don't have a lot of confidence that I can do it too many more times without an issue. I was also wondering what one would do if the stud had to be replaced and figured it would be addressed on the forum somewhere. Anyway, the real reason for my post I'd like to get a die and "chase" the threads on the stud and replace the stock chrome nuts. Does anyone know what the bolt/ thread size/ threads per inch the studs are? I'm not that well versed on tap and drill sizes.

THanks, Mark

P.S. Good luck with your drill and tap job.

Comment

I measured before I went to get the parts I needed and they were a M10 x 1.50

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X